Bruno to sign for Boa Esporte after prison release

Comments
The 32-year-old goalkeeper served less than seven years of a 22-year sentence and is on the verge of returning to professional football

Convicted murderer Bruno is on the verge of signing for Boa Esporte in the Brazilian Serie B, the club's sporting director confirmed Friday.

The 32-year-old goalkeeper was released from prison last month after being found guilty in connection with the 2010 murder of former lover Eliza Samudio. He was was convicted in 2013 of homicide, kidnapping, false imprisonment and hiding the body — the final charge relating to testimony given by a cousin of the player that claimed Samudio was cut up into pieces and fed to Bruno's Rottweiler puppies.

The Brazilian who fed his lover to dogs

Bruno was sentenced to 22 years, but was released last month after neary seven years behind bars on the grounds that his three-year pre-trial incarceration was an excessive period for an inmate that was a first-time offender and who held a fixed address and stable job.

Prior to his imprisonment, Bruno was considered one of Brazil's brightest goalkeepers and a possible replacement for then-stalwart national team player Julio Cesar. Now, a week after his agent claimed "almost 10" clubs were after Bruno's services, Boa Esporte's sporting director Rildo Moraes said a deal was close.

"He's in Varginha to follow the negotiations," Moraes said. "Bruno will sign for two years once everything is confirmed."

Next article:
Lukaku accused of disrespecting Man Utd with Serie A transfer comments
Next article:
Neymar never wanted to take Brazil No. 10 shirt
Next article:
Exclusive: Cornthwaite on retirement, coaching, salaries and Malaysia's future
Next article:
What we can expect from Thierry Henry the manager following Monaco appointment
Next article:
Buffon: Dani Alves would swap Champions League crowns for my World Cup win
Close