This page contains affiliate links. When you purchase through the links provided, we may earn a commission.

+18 or +21, depending on state | Commercial Content | T&C's Apply | Play Responsibly | Publishing Principles
Villarreal

Villarreal news

Wilfried Zaha Ivory Coast 2019

Zaha recalled to Ivory Coast squad for AFCON - but Pepe misses out

Wilfried Zaha is returning to the Ivory Coast fold after a prolonged spell away, with the 33-year-old earning a surprise recall for the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations. The Charlotte FC winger had been absent from the national team squad for two years, having initially slipped out of contention following disagreements with former coach Patrice Beaumelle. As a consequence, Zaha missed Les Éléphants' triumphant campaign on home soil in 2023.

GFX Javier Tebas Florentino Perez

La Liga president accuses Madrid of hypocrisy over NFL match

La Liga president Javier Tebas has hit out at Real Madrid for hosting an NFL game at the Santiago Bernabeu, accusing the club of hypocrisy after leading the protest against Barcelona’s proposed league fixture against Villarreal in Miami. Tebas said Madrid fought the idea 'as a crusade of integrity," yet welcomed the NFL to their iconic stadium.

FBL-ESP-LIGA-RACISM-VINICIUS

La Liga to sue players' union over 'illegal strike'

La Liga will take the Spanish players' union (AFE) to court, claiming player protests against the recently-cancelled Miami match were an 'illegal strike'. Union president David Aganzo denies this, citing a "lack of transparency." The fallout continues as a furious Villarreal CEO blames Florentino Perez and Real Madrid for the project's collapse, calling their opposition hypocritical.

Villarreal CF v RCD Espanyol - LaLiga Santander

'Lack of respect' - Villarreal rip La Liga for cancelling match

Villarreal expressed "deep displeasure" at La Liga for the decision to cancel a controversial match against Barcelona that was set to be held in Miami in December. The Yellow Submarine pointed to the league's lack of general organization for the event and said they were blindsided by Tuesday's announcement, which came during their Champions League match.

GFX Javier Tebas Florentino Perez

La Liga chief slams Real Madrid over cancelled Miami match

Javier Tebas has slammed the decision to cancel plans to host the match between Villarreal and Barcelona in Miami, branding it “narrow-minded” while accusing governing bodies and Real Madrid of sabotaging La Liga’s global ambitions. The league president insists Spanish football has “lost a historic opportunity” as backlash over the proposed fixture continues to divide opinion.

Real Madrid CF v RCD Espanyol de Barcelona - LaLiga EA Sports

Carvajal slams Miami plan amid La Liga’s U-turn

Real Madrid captain Dani Carvajal has condemned La Liga’s plan to stage a league match in Miami, calling it “a clear distortion of the competition.” The controversial Villarreal vs Barcelona fixture, initially set for December 20 in the United States, was scrapped amid widespread backlash from players, fans, and clubs across Spain.

FRANCE-SPORTS-FOOTBALL-BALLON-D-OR-JOAN-LAPORTA-ARRIVAL

Barca react to Miami match cancellation

Barcelona say they "accept and respect" La Liga's decision to cancel their proposed fixture against Villarreal in Miami. The game was set to be the first-ever La Liga match played outside Spain, but growing backlash from players, clubs and officials has forced organisers to scrap the plan just weeks before tickets were due to go on sale.

FC Barcelona v Girona FC - LaLiga EA Sports

Controversial Barcelona-Villarreal match in U.S. canceled

La Liga's proposed U.S. match between Barcelona and Villarreal, scheduled to be played in December in Miami, has been canceled, both the league and organizer Relevent confirmed on Tuesday. Both cited insufficient planning time and uncertainty in Spain as the reasons. The controversial match had drawn the ire of many fans and led to player protests.

Xabi Alonso Real Madrid 2025

Madrid make new attempt to block Barcelona’s Miami match

Real Madrid have escalated their opposition to La Liga’s Miami plan by filing a second complaint to the Higher Sports Council (CSD), aiming to stop the Villarreal vs Barcelona match from taking place in the United States. The club claims the overseas fixture breaches competition fairness, while the government and Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) navigate complex regulations before a final decision.

FBL-ESP-LIGA-BARCELONA-VILLARREAL

Villarreal-Barca match in Miami is 'a reward' - La Liga chief

Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Rafael Louzan has argued that Barcelona and Villarreal’s upcoming match in Miami is part of a broader plan to reward global fans and expand La Liga's international reach. However, he revealed that the Women’s Super Cup, originally proposed to be held in the United States from January 20 to 25, could not go ahead after Real Madrid refused to approve the move.

FC Barcelona v Paris Saint-Germain - UEFA Champions League 2025/26 League Phase MD2

FIFA ready to BAN league games staged overseas

FIFA is redrafting its regulations concerning domestic league games played in foreign countries and seeking legal advice on potentially banning them outright, after UEFA reluctantly approved LaLiga and Serie A matches to be played overseas. The games to be played are Villarreal v Barcelona in Miami and AC Milan v Como in Perth.