Manchester United boss Mourinho avoids FA punishment over Newcastle comments

Last updated
Comments()
The Football Association charge against the Old Trafford manager following his comments after the win over the Magpies has not been proven

Jose Mourinho will not be punished by the Football Association after Manchester United successfully contested a charge he swore in Portuguese during the club's win over Newcastle.

The Old Trafford manager reacted passionately at full-time following his team's 3-2 home win last month, with TV cameras capturing him gesticulating and shouting as he made his way down the touchline.

The FA reportedly used a lip reader to decipher what he said and his remarks were interpreted as offensive.

But United mounted a successful defence, aware the Portuguese faced a possible touchline ban if found guilty.

Article continues below

An FA spokesman said: "A charge against Jose Mourinho for allegedly using language which was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper has been found not proven following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today [31/10/18].

"It related to an incident at the end of the Manchester United versus Newcastle United game on 6 October 2018. Written reasons for the decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission will be published in due course. This decision is subject to appeal."

United, who sit eighth in the Premier League table, face Bournemouth on Saturday (12.30).

Next article:
Australia vs Lebanon: TV channel, live stream, squad, Socceroos news & preview
Next article:
Maradona's Dorados into Ascenso MX semifinals
Next article:
Bonucci boos a 'mistake' by fans, says Mancini
Next article:
McLeish optimistic as Scotland zero in on Nations League promotion
Next article:
Ronaldo still part of Portugal squad – Santos
Close