Barcelona target Luan extends contract with Gremio

ShareClose Comments
The Brazilian promise was Gremio's Copa Libertadores hero last week and pledged his immediate future to the club with a new deal

Barcelona and Liverpool target Luan has signed a fresh deal with Gremio that extends his contract up until 2020. 

The 24-year-old forward received offers from several European clubs last summer to leave Porto Alegre, but decided to stay in his native Brazil. 

Barcelona win and BTTS v Sevilla 23/20

And, just hours before Luan and Gremio take the field in Wednesday's Copa Libertadores semi-final, second leg against Barcelona of Ecuador, the club announced he had put pen to paper on a new contract. 

"We are very happy because this is what Gremio always wanted," president Romildo Bolzan told reporters on Wednesday. 

"Luan had said that he was ready to renew and that he would not leave Gremio unless the situation was resolved. 

"Additionally, it shows that we are willing to keep our players, our key assets, and most importantly those who have come through our youth ranks. 

Article continues below

"This is typical of what our policy of capitalising on what we have inside the club, and to make Gremio more competitive, can achieve. This is a time to celebrate." 

Luan made his debut for Gremio in 2014, and has since become a regular part of the first team in Porto Alegre, scoring two goals in last week's Copa Libertadores semi-final, first leg to put the club in a commanding position ahead of Wednesday's return. 

His talents have also not gone unnoticed by the national team, as he was a key member of the 2016 Olympic Games gold medal side and also has been capped for the senior Selecao under coach Tite.

Next article:
Oumar Niasse is in my plan, assures Everton coach Marco Silva
Next article:
Mane takes Coutinho's No.10 squad number at Liverpool
Next article:
Transfer news & rumours LIVE: Real & Chelsea agree €190m Hazard deal
Next article:
Tottenham star Son signs new deal until 2023
Next article:
El Hadji Diouf attacks Cisse and Le Roy on Senegal future
Close

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Show more Accept