Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni has been provisionally suspended by UEFA as an investigation into the events of a Champions League clash with Real Madrid continue. The Argentine stands accused of directing racist comments at Blancos forward Vinicius Junior. He will sit out the second leg of a knockout phase playoff clash at Santiago Bernabeu.
Manchester United have been warned off a stunning transfer swoop for Real Madrid winger Vinicius Junior. The Brazil international has been making headlines again of late and former Red Devils defender Paul Parker considers the South American to be a “rage baiter”. He is not convinced that Jarrod Bowen should be taken to Old Trafford either, but would like to see a deal done for Aston Villa playmaker Morgan Rogers.
Benfica boss Jose Mourinho has remained tight-lipped regarding the ongoing controversy surrounding Gianluca Prestianni’s alleged racial abuse of Real Madrid superstar Vinicius Junior. As the Eagles prepare for a pivotal Champions League second-leg showdown at the Bernabeu, 'the Special One' insists his squad's focus remains entirely on their professional duties on the pitch.
Burnley have condemned the racial abuse suffered by Hannibal Mejbri following his side's 1-1 draw at Chelsea, with the Tunisia midfielder sharing a harmful message he had been sent after full-time at Stamford Bridge. Burnley issued a club statement which emphasised their stance that there is no place for racism in society and that anyone guilty of racist abuse should be investigated and punished.
After a testing week, Vinicius Jr did what he does best as he scored to bring Real Madrid backing into it against a spirited Osasuna side. The Brazilian's work was undone by some shoddy defending, however, as two cheap goals saw Los Blancos fall to a 2-1 defeat. The side from Pamplona struck before the break and in the 92nd minute to inflict a loss on Alvaro Arbeloa's side that might be crucial in the scope of the title race.
Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni has already given his version of events in UEFA's investigation into his alleged use of racist language against Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior. The incident followed Vinicius' stunning winning goal in Tuesday night's Champions League knockout play-off first leg in Lisbon, as the two players exchanged words before the Brazilian ran over to the referee to report something the Argentine said while he had his face covered with his shirt.
Vinicius Junior is said to have found Jose Mourinho’s response to the racism allegations that he levelled against Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni “repulsive”. Former Real Madrid manager Mourinho spoke with Brazil international Vinicius during an unscheduled break in play at Estadio da Luz. The Portuguese refused to condemn his player afterwards, leading to widespread criticism of the ‘Special One’.
Pep Guardiola wants to see teachers and doctors "paid a lot" in efforts to educate children and tackle the issue of racism in society. The Manchester City boss was asked for his reaction to the alleged racist abuse suffered by Real Madrid star Vinicius Junior during Tuesday's Champions League clash with Benfica.
Bayern Munich boss Vincent Kompany has criticised Benfica manager Jose Mourinho for bringing Eusebio’s name into the Vinicius Junior racism row that has been sparked on the back of an eventful Champions League clash at Estadio da Luz. Ex-Real Madrid coach Mourinho has sought to defend his player, Gianluca Prestianni, and Portuguese supporters.
Real Madrid legend Keylor Navas has condemned the alleged racist abuse directed at Vinicius Jr during the midweek Champions League clash clash with Benfica. The veteran goalkeeper called for "strong punishment" against Gianluca Prestianni if the accusations prove to be correct to ensure such incidents never happen again.
Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that he intends to sign a new Brazil contract to keep him as manager of the Selecao beyond the 2026 World Cup finals in the USA, Canada and Mexico. The new deal would keep Ancelotti in the role until the 2030 World Cup and is expected to be signed in the coming weeks ahead of the build-up to this year's tournament, with the former Real Madrid boss relishing his new role in charge of the record five-time world champions.
Chelsea head coach Liam Rosenior has spoken out in support of Vinicius Jr after the alleged racial abuse suffered by the Real Madrid forward in their Champions League play-off tie with Benfica on Tuesday. Rosenior drew on his own experiences in the game and stated that those convicted of racial abuse do not deserve a place in football, as an ongoing investigation continues into the comments made by Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni.
Real Madrid have confirmed that they “actively collaborated with the investigation opened by UEFA” following accusations of racist abuse being aimed at Vinicius Junior during the Blancos’ Champions League clash with Benfica. Gianluca Prestianni stands accused of making the comments in question, with ugly scenes playing out at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon.
Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has apologised for his “clumsy” analysis of the incident involving Real Madrid forward Vinicius and Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni that has seen allegations of racism surface. Clattenburg formed part of Amazon Prime Video’s coverage of a Champions League fixture that took place at Estadio da Luz.
Anti-racism charity Kick It Out has accused Benfica manager Jose Mourinho of 'gaslighting' Vinicius Junior following a controversial Champions League encounter. The fallout stems from Real Madrid’s 1-0 victory in Lisbon, where the Brazilian superstar reported being racially abused by Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni. Amidst the tension, Mourinho suggested that the forward’s own behaviour and exuberant goal celebration had "incited" the hostile atmosphere and provoked the opposition players.
The Portuguese government has revealed that it will be conducting its own investigation into the allegations of racism that have been made against Benfica player Gianluca Prestianni. The 20-year-old Argentine was accused by Vinicius Junior of making racist comments during a Champions League knockout phase play-off fixture that took place at Estadio da Luz.