Are you 24 or older?

Help us verify your age by providing an honest response. This site contains gambling advertising for 24+.

Age-restricted content

You’re not old enough to view betting content. You’ll be redirected to the homepage.

alt

This page contains affiliate links. When you purchase through the links provided, we may earn a commission.

+19 | Please play responsibly | T&C's Apply | Commercial Content  | Publishing Principles
FBL-ENG-PR-COMMUNITY-ARSENAL-MAN CITYAFP

'Two to three weeks' - Man City boss confirms Jeremy Doku injury setback

  • Maresca provides update on Belgian star

    Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca has officially confirmed that Doku is set to be sidelined for up to three weeks after suffering a calf injury. The 24-year-old was a surprise inclusion in the starting line-up for the recent Community Shield clash against Arsenal at the Principality Stadium - a match in which City suffered a heavy 3-0 defeat - but his involvement was cut short.

    Speaking on Friday during his pre-match press conference before City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth this Sunday, Maresca confirmed the extent of the damage. 'At the moment, the only one (unavailable) is Doku. Matheus (Nunes) is back, and the rest are all okay. Unfortunately in the last game at half-time he was complaining about a calf pain. In any case, the idea was to play for 45 minutes. At the moment it looks like two to three weeks (out), no more than that,' Maresca said, in quotes reported by news agency Hayters.

  • Advertisement
  • Arsenal v Manchester City - 2026 FA Community ShieldGetty Images Sport

    Squad management and substitution plans

    The timing of the injury is particularly frustrating for City given Doku's importance to the tactical setup, especially as the winger had only just committed his future to the club by signing a new five-year contract last week. Nevertheless, Maresca clarified that the player was always scheduled to leave the pitch early against Arsenal.

    'The plan was to change them after 45 minutes to one hour. It was a decision that was taken before the game,' Maresca told reporters. While the substitution was expected, the subsequent medical assessment has forced the reigning FA Cup holders to rethink their attacking options for the rest of August.

  • Transfer market activity impacts depth

    To replace Doku on the left wing against Bournemouth, Maresca could turn to Antoine Semenyo, Jack Grealish, or Omar Marmoush. However, City's squad depth is facing a stern test amid intense transfer activity, with Marmoush drawing strong interest from Tottenham Hotspur and Savinho closing in on a high-profile switch to the north London side.

    This summer saw significant squad turnover for Manchester City, as the club bade farewell to several high-profile names, including Rodri, Tijjani Reijnders, James Trafford, and Nathan Ake. To fill those voids and reinforce their ranks, City brought in fresh talent with the arrivals of Elliot Anderson, Geronimo Rulli, and Jeremy Monga.

  • ENJOYED THIS STORY?

    Add GOAL.com as a preferred source on Google to see more of our reporting

    Add as preferred source on Google
  • Bournemouth v Manchester City - Premier LeagueGetty Images Sport

    Doku's impact and the Bournemouth connection

    Doku's absence is a notable loss considering his stellar contributions during the 2025-26 campaign. The former Rennes man enjoyed a highly successful year, recording eight goals and 14 assists in all competitions as City won both the Carabao Cup and the FA Cup.

    Sunday's clash at the Etihad Stadium marks the first meeting between Manchester City and Bournemouth since their 1-1 draw last season - a pivotal result that effectively sealed the Premier League title for Arsenal and shattered City's domestic treble ambitions.