Mary Earps stitched up as Chloe Kelly silences Old Trafford! Winners & Losers from Man City's statement WSL derby win over Man Utd


Sunday was set up to be a huge day for Manchester United. A club record 43,615 fans poured into Old Trafford to watch the women's team take on bitter rivals Manchester City in the Women's Super League and captain Katie Zelem gave the Red Devils the lead with 21 minutes on the clock. It was all going to plan. But the defining image of the latest instalment of this derby will instead be that of England star Chloe Kelly shushing the home crowd as City scored two goals in 79 seconds to turn the game around and paint Manchester blue.

It was the visitors who started the better of the two, with Bunny Shaw and Lauren Hemp in particular testing Mary Earps in the opening stages. United grew into it, though, and they took the lead when Melvine Malard's shot struck the outstretched arm of Lionesses defender Alex Greenwood in the box, with Zelem reliable as ever from the penalty spot.

Marc Skinner's side thought they had doubled that lead not long after, but Geyse was instead denied by the assistant's flag after the ball was ruled to have crossed the line and gone out for a goal-kick before she put it into the back of the net, and then the momentum shifted dramatically thanks to two goals in two minutes.

Article continues below

Kelly got the better of Lisa Naalsund down the left for the equaliser, picking out a well-positioned Jill Roord, who left Earps helpless when she found the bottom corner with deadly accuracy to level things up. Seconds later, it was 2-1, with City winning the ball high up the pitch and Shaw setting up Hemp to beautifully curl a shot into the top corner.

There was a feeling that City needed to make their dominant end to the first half count. Earps came up big to stop Kelly making it 3-1 before the break and United had the chance to go inside and reset with the deficit still just one goal. However, missed chances would come back to haunt the Red Devils rather than the Blues, with City going 3-1 up before the hour mark when Earps smashed an attempted clearance from Maya Le Tissier's under-hit backpass against Shaw and was only able to watch as it trickled into the back of her empty net.

United huffed and puffed but couldn't break down the City defence to get back into the game, even after Laia Aleixandri's second yellow card saw the visitors reduced to 10 for almost half an hour. Instead, after back-to-back defeats, this win was huge for City, who leapfrog United in the WSL table to move into third place and a Champions League spot. There's still plenty of work to do in the title race, though, with Chelsea six points ahead of them at the top of the table.

GOAL breaks down the winners and losers from Old Trafford...