Salah avoids prosecution for using phone while driving

Comments()
The Liverpool star was seen using his mobile while leaving Anfield earlier in the season, but police have confirmed they have insufficient evidence

Mohamed Salah will not be prosecuted after a video emerged of the Liverpool forward appearing to use a phone while driving, with police citing "insufficient evidence".

Footage circulated on Twitter in August showing the Egypt international using his phone behind the wheel while surrounded by fans.

The video is believed to have been taken following Liverpool's 4-0 win over West Ham on August 12, a match which saw Salah score one of his three Premier League goals of the season.

Liverpool confirmed at the time that the club had alerted police after discussions with the player and would deal with the matter internally should there be any follow up.

However, Merseyside Police have confirmed there is not enough evidence to prosecute the former Roma wideman.

In a statement they said: "We can confirm a 26-year-old man was spoken to following an incident on Arkles Lane in Liverpool on Sunday 12 August.

"Inquiries have taken place and there is insufficient evidence to support a prosecution and as such no further action will be taken.

"The man has been spoken to by officers and given advice and guidance around mobile phone use in a vehicle."

Article continues below

After scoring 44 goals in his debut Liverpool season, Salah has endured a tepid start to the 2018 campaign, scoring just three goals in 11 total appearances to start the season.

However, the Egyptian did recently claim the Puskas Award for his curling goal against Everton last season.

Salah recently received the backing of Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler, who said the 26-year-old attacker "will still score a lot of goals" as the season continues.

Next article:
Liga MX denies match manipulation investigation is underway
Next article:
Emery dodges title talk after latest Arsenal win
Next article:
Mariners say Bolt talks ongoing amid reports contract offer was rejected
Next article:
Returning Ronaldo expecting 'tough' game against Manchester United
Next article:
Proud captain Ozil revels in Arsenal's 'sexy football'
Close