Are you 24 or older?

Help us verify your age by providing an honest response. This site contains gambling advertising for 24+.

Age-restricted content

You’re not old enough to view betting content. You’ll be redirected to the homepage.

alt

This page contains affiliate links. When you purchase through the links provided, we may earn a commission.

+18 | Commercial Content | T&C's Apply | Play Responsibly | Publishing Principles
FC Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Pre-Season FriendlyGetty Images Sport

Translated by

Mourinho's first squad list: two Real Madrid players absent and three surprise inclusions

José Mourinho has named his first official squad of his second spell at Real Madrid, ready for the La Liga opener against Espanyol. Injuries have forced several players out, but the Portuguese has handed three academy talents their chance.

Real Madrid host Espanyol tomorrow, Saturday evening, in the second round of the competition. Brazilian Endrick and Frenchman Aurélien Tchouaméni both miss out, while the young trio of Mario Rivas, Cestero and Alexis Ceria make the cut after impressing the coach in pre-season.

Endrick and Tchouaméni out of the reckoning

Endrick misses the match with a minor muscle injury. The technical staff have chosen not to risk the Brazilian striker so early in the season.

Tchouaméni, meanwhile, has already returned to group training, but Mourinho would rather bide his time given the midfielder is not fully ready for a competitive game.

"He is fine, but he arrived suffering from some discomfort, and he has only trained a little with the first team," said the Portuguese coach.

A packed calendar has also shaped the decision. Real Madrid face three league matches in eight days, so the staff are treating those returning from injury with caution.

Read also:

A record run and a favourite victim: Real Madrid "opens up" at the start of La Liga

Three talents earn Mourinho's trust

The biggest surprise in the squad is the call-up of Mario Rivas, Cestero and Alexis Ceria. The trio won Mourinho over during a pre-season in which injuries repeatedly pushed him to lean on "La Fábrica" products.

Mourinho had already promised the first team would open its doors to young talents. He has followed through by naming the three for the trip to Espanyol.

Rivas, Cestero and Ceria look set to start on the bench at the Cornellà. They become among the first academy names to earn a chance under Mourinho's new project at Real Madrid.

"The door is open," Mourinho said during his press conference, a nod to the academy players hoping to stake a claim with the first team.

You can discuss the topics and news in greater depth on the Kooora forums

Real Madrid's full squad

The full squad included:

Goalkeepers: Courtois, Lunin, Mestre.

Defenders: Huijsen, Arnold, Konaté, Cucurella, Carreras, Rüdiger, Dumfries, Mario Rivas.

Midfielders: Bellingham, Camavinga, Valverde, Arda Güler, Bernardo Silva, Cestero, Alexis Ceria.

Forwards: Vinícius Júnior, Mbappé, Espí, Brahim Díaz, Yan Diomandé.

Advertisement

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Add GOAL.com as a preferred source on Google to see more of our reporting

Add as preferred source on Google