Feyenoord beat SC Cambuur 5-2 on Sunday afternoon, but the attention afterwards centred largely on events away from the pitch. After the final whistle, the Rotterdam side's players walked over to the away end to thank the travelling supporters, even though fireworks had earlier been fired from that same section towards the pitch and the surrounding stands.
Cambuur said five supporters were injured in the fireworks incident. The Frisian club said they suffered burns, hearing damage and eye injuries, among other things, and described the events as 'utterly impermissible and unacceptable'.
That the Feyenoord players still walked towards the away end afterwards has sparked plenty of outrage on X. "Disgraceful, in protest at the misconduct they should not have done that," one follower wrote.
Another called it 'a missed opportunity to make a statement', while someone else said: "They should have ignored them. "
I"Pointless action by the squad. People were injured by their fireworks, but then you still go and applaud in front of the stand," one user wrote, while someone else responded: "The away end should really have been empty already."
Critics also argued that by acknowledging the away end, Feyenoord were not distancing themselves enough from the behaviour of the supporters responsible. "The club should have communicated to the players straight away not to do this," read one of the responses, while another user stated: "Nice way to reward them for their behaviour."
Others, though, did not think the Feyenoord players were wrong. "There are also supporters there who simply want to support Feyenoord and did not set off any fireworks." Another also remarked: "Half of them have nothing to do with it."





