Transfer fees have been creeping up for some time, with Neymar blowing the doors off that particular market when joining Paris Saint-Germain for €222m (£195m/$261m) in 2017. It appears to be only a matter of time before a defender moves for nine figures, with Marlon Harewood telling GOAL of why Nottingham Forest star Murillo could be the man to make history.
Scott McTominay has delivered his verdict on why certain players have improved after leaving Manchester United, with the Scotland international saying there is no obvious "excuse" as to why that has happened. McTominay is, as a Serie A title winner with Napoli, one of several stars to have flourished since severing ties with Premier League heavyweights at Old Trafford.
Erling Haaland is being tipped to snub any future interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona as he is already at a club that will allow him to land major silverware and smash countless records on the goalscoring front. Ex-Premier League forward Marlon Harewood has told GOAL why the prolific Norwegian is likely to honour an extraordinary 10-year contract at the Etihad Stadium.
Barcelona president Joan Laporta admits the long-running Lionel Messi saga, which started in 2021 when the Argentine GOAT left for Paris Saint-Germain, has made him "sad". He does, however, hope that a crossing of paths will take place at some stage, saying: "Hopefully we meet again." A fitting tribute to Messi, be that an exhibition game or statue, is still being planned.
Born in Spain to a Moroccan father and Equatoguinean mother, Lamine Yamal has taken world football by storm after rising quickly through Barcelona's famed La Masia youth academy. But while his decision to represent Spain on the international stage has already delivered a European crown for the youngster, one Morocco legend says he made the wrong decision.
A generational showdown is officially on the calendar as Spain and Argentina prepare to contest the Finalissima in Qatar, setting up a first-ever senior meeting between Lamine Yamal and Lionel Messi. With the European and South American champions colliding at Lusail Stadium, the one-off clash promises symbolism, history and World Cup-level intensity just months before the 2026 tournament.
It has been suggested, by Dietmar Hamann, that Liverpool could look to sell £125 million ($167m) striker Alexander Isak to Barcelona in the summer of 2026. Anfield future questions are also being asked of £116m ($155m) playmaker Florian Wirtz, while talk of Jurgen Klopp returning to Merseyside in a managerial capacity has been addressed by a former Reds star.
Andreas Christensen faces a decisive period in his career as he enters the final six months of his Barcelona contract. With no renewal on the table and his future hanging in the balance, the Danish defender has attracted interest from the Premier League and the Saudi Pro League, leaving him with a stark choice: fight for his place in Catalonia or pursue a fresh challenge elsewhere.
Barcelona defender Ronald Araujo has set a date for his return to training after completing a spiritual pilgrimage to Israel. The Uruguayan international, who was granted indefinite leave to cope with significant mental health struggles following a traumatic period on the pitch, has informed the club he intends to report back for duty on December 29 with an eye on the Catalan derby.
Barcelona are preparing to open fresh contract talks with Hansi Flick just months after his last renewal, as club president Joan Laporta looks to lock down the German tactician for the long term following a strong start to the campaign.
Barcelona wonderkid Sama Nomoko has been ruled out for 12 months after a devastating injury blow. The 17-year-old winger suffered the setback during a UEFA Youth League match against Eintracht Frankfurt at the Estadi Johan Cruyff last week.
New Barcelona presidential candidate Marc Ciria has vowed to do "whatever it takes" to bring club legend Lionel Messi back to Camp Nou. The club are due to hold presidential elections in 2026, with Ciria having thrown his hat into the ring alongside current chief Joan Laporta, Victor Font and Xavi Vilajoana. Ciria claims Barcelona "need" Messi back but stopped short of clarifying what kind of role the Argentina star could take up.
Barcelona star Raphinha's wife has been left furious after seeing her husband overlooked once again. The forward is a notable omission from The Best FIFA XI that has just been announced and was also previously excluded from the FifPro World XI. The decision to overlook the Brazilian once again comes as a real surprise after he played a key role for Barcelona last season as Hansi Flick's side won La Liga, Copa del Rey and Spanish Super Cup titles.
Hansi Flick has explained his shock decision to hand Marc-Andre ter Stegen a first start in months, insisting the veteran goalkeeper deserved the "opportunity" to step back between the sticks. The Barcelona boss hailed the German’s attitude after a morale-boosting victory, though he was quick to clarify the keeper’s immediate status in the pecking order.
Barcelona striker Robert Lewandowski is reportedly 'open' to joining MLS side the Chicago Fire on a free transfer at the end of the season. The 37-year-old has held positive talks with the club about a potential move after his contract with Hansi Flick's side expires. Lionel Messi's Inter Miami have also been credited with interest in Lewandowski but may now miss out on the goalscoring great.
Andreas Christensen and Marcus Rashford were on target for Barcelona in the second half as the La Liga champions secured a hard-fought 2-0 win over third-tier Spanish side CD Guadalajara in a Copa del Rey round of 32 clash on Tuesday. The minnows fought tooth and nail throughout the match and had successfully kept a clean sheet until the 76th minute but Hansi Flick's side eventually prevailed.
Despite a stellar season with Barcelona, Brazil star Raphinha was not included in the FIFA Men's World XI team announced in Doha. He was on the 11-player shortlist for the main award after an impressive season that saw him score 18 goals and provide 10 assists in La Liga, but didn’t make it into the team for one of the most prestigious awards of the season.
Joan Laporta has hit back at Real Madrid president Florentino Perez with a scathing diagnosis, claiming the Spanish capital is suffering from a case of "acute Barcelonitis". The Barcelona chief dismissed recent attacks regarding the Negreira scandal as proof of an obsession, suggesting Los Blancos are more concerned with their rivals than their own internal issues.
Real Madrid head coach Xabi Alonso has thrown his full weight behind Florentino Perez in the ongoing war over the Negreira case, insisting that the lack of punishment for Barcelona is viewed with total shock across the rest of Europe. The Madrid president described the ongoing controversy as the biggest scandal in football history as he criticised Spanish football's authorities over a lack of action.
Barcelona have reportedly identified Borussia Dortmund defender Julian Ryerson as a shock transfer target to bolster their defensive options. The Catalan giants are scouring the market for reinforcements amid growing fears that Manchester City could launch a swoop for Jules Kounde, forcing Hansi Flick to draw up contingency plans for the right-back position.
Inter Miami are reportedly plotting a stunning swoop for Robert Lewandowski that would see the prolific Polish striker join forces with Lionel Messi. The Herons will be looking to defend their MLS Cup crown in 2026 and intend to make more marquee additions to their ranks. Co-owner Sir David Beckham is among those scouring the market, with Lewandowski registering on his recruitment radar.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez has used his traditional Christmas address to launch a blistering attack on Spanish football authorities regarding the Negreira scandal. The club chief labelled the affair the "biggest scandal in football history" and slammed La Liga and the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) for leaving his club "isolated" in their pursuit of justice over the controversial payments.
The race to sign one of Europe’s most exciting teenage talents has intensified significantly, with Bayern Munich formally entering the battle for Jagiellonia Bialystok sensation Oskar Pietuszewski. The Bavarian giants have dispatched scouts to watch the winger in action and are now prepared to rival Barcelona, Arsenal and Manchester City for a signature that is expected to shatter Polish transfer records.
GOAL runs the rule over the British players earning a living away from their homeland, with plenty more stars deciding to leave their comfort zones in search of a better footballing life elsewhere. The Premier League is still obviously one of the world's most entertaining divisions and the Championship can prove fantastic for development, but there are more options out there.