Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes has shared his thoughts on whether the Portugal national team is better off without veteran talisman Cristiano Ronaldo. The legendary forward turned 40 back in February but is aiming to play a key role for his team at World Cup 2026. There have been suggestions that Portugal may be stronger without their ageing superstar, who only scored once in five games at the 2022 tournament in Qatar.
Former Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius has been told he is simply too good for the second division, with Schalke sporting director Frank Baumann admitting the stopper "belongs in the top league." However, the German giants are desperate to extend his stay at the Veltins-Arena, confirming plans to sit down for contract talks while acknowledging that the player's family situation and the club's promotion battle will ultimately decide his future.
Barcelona are preparing to open fresh contract talks with Hansi Flick just months after his last renewal, as club president Joan Laporta looks to lock down the German tactician for the long term following a strong start to the campaign.
Modernising the role of a full-back 30 years ago, Roberto Carlos undoubtedly set the benchmark. A tactical genius and a physical specimen, the Real Madrid and Brazil legend won countless trophies at club and international level, contributing bucket loads of goals and assists. No one in the past, present or future can ever claim to be his equal - he was that good.
Ruben Amorim has been told he only has two players who rank above "average" at Manchester United. Their chaotic 4-4 draw with Bournemouth on Monday night felt like a microcosm of Amorim’s reign so far. There was attacking intent and moments of genuine quality, but also defensive fragility, lapses in concentration and an inability to manage key moments. United led three times, looked to have landed the knockout blow late on, and still contrived to let victory slip away.
Stars and Stripes icon Megan Rapinoe is never afraid to voice her opinion and has taken aim at the USMNT's new slogan ahead of the 2026 World Cup. The tournament will be hosted across the United States, Mexico and Canada next summer, with Mauricio Pochettino's side hoping that home advantage can help them make a real impact in the competition.
Bayern Munich legend Thomas Muller has opened up on his new life in North America, revealing a bizarre mix of new hobbies including rapping and yodelling, but the Vancouver Whitecaps captain has made a candid admission about his language struggles, confessing he is simply "too lazy" to improve his English skills despite his best intentions.
The winner of The Best FIFA Men's Player award for 2025 has been announced, with Paris-Saint Germain attacker and Ballon d'Or holder Ousmane Dembele once again scooping the top prize after an exceptional season. The voting for the awards has also now been revealed, showing who the biggest names in the sport picked as their top choices, including Lionel Messi, Harry Kane, Virgil van Dijk, and England manager Thomas Tuchel.
Dayot Upamecano is literally 'on the move' in Munich, but his change of address could signal a major blow to his international suitors. While Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain circle the French defender ahead of the January window, Upamecano’s decision to relocate within the Bavarian capital offers the biggest hint yet that his long-term future lies at the Allianz Arena rather than the Bernabeu or the Parc des Princes.
Barcelona wonderkid Sama Nomoko has been ruled out for 12 months after a devastating injury blow. The 17-year-old winger suffered the setback during a UEFA Youth League match against Eintracht Frankfurt at the Estadi Johan Cruyff last week.
Inter Milan’s title defence has been rocked by the news that Denzel Dumfries will be sidelined for months following ankle surgery. The Dutch international’s injury has forced head coach Cristian Chivu to rethink his winter strategy, with the Nerazzurri now preparing to delve into the January transfer market to find emergency cover for the right flank as they look to maintain their Scudetto push.
New Barcelona presidential candidate Marc Ciria has vowed to do "whatever it takes" to bring club legend Lionel Messi back to Camp Nou. The club are due to hold presidential elections in 2026, with Ciria having thrown his hat into the ring alongside current chief Joan Laporta, Victor Font and Xavi Vilajoana. Ciria claims Barcelona "need" Messi back but stopped short of clarifying what kind of role the Argentina star could take up.
Borussia Dortmund are preparing to break the bank to secure the long-term future of defensive lynchpin Nico Schlotterbeck, with the club reportedly tabling a historic contract offer that would see him become the highest-paid player at Signal Iduna Park. However, the German international is in no rush to sign, hinting that a final decision on his future will not be made until the summer amid circling interest from European giants.
Cole Palmer will launch an aftershave featuring his trademark "cold" celebration as the Chelsea star looks to set up a business empire. Documents lodged with the UK government’s Intellectual Property Office reveal that Palmer is seeking to secure rights across a remarkably broad range of products.
Jose Mourinho has fiercely rejected the suggestion that his career has been defined by "mind games" and media manipulation, insisting that his global reputation was built solely on his extensive trophy cabinet rather than "saying stupid things" during press conferences. The Portuguese tactician, currently enjoying a resurgence with Benfica, offered a fascinating insight into his communication strategy, revealing that his public comments are merely an extension of his dressing room talks.
Barcelona star Raphinha's wife has been left furious after seeing her husband overlooked once again. The forward is a notable omission from The Best FIFA XI that has just been announced and was also previously excluded from the FifPro World XI. The decision to overlook the Brazilian once again comes as a real surprise after he played a key role for Barcelona last season as Hansi Flick's side won La Liga, Copa del Rey and Spanish Super Cup titles.
Thierry Henry will take his place among the most revered figures in global sport later this month when he is presented with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2025 BBC Sports Personality of the Year ceremony. The Arsenal legend, now 48, has been confirmed as the latest winner of the prestigious accolade, following in the footsteps of footballing legends Pele, Sir Bobby Charlton and Sir David Beckham.
Timo Werner could be set for a shock exit from European football as a new suitor emerges from the United States to end his Bundesliga nightmare. The former Chelsea and Tottenham forward has emerged as a concrete option for Major League Soccer side San Jose Earthquakes, with veteran coach Bruce Arena driving the move for the RB Leipzig outcast.
The Africa Cup of Nations is back this December and January, with the continent's very best set to battle it out in Morocco as they aim to take Cote d'Ivoire's crown after their unlikely victory at the start of 2024. AFCON's prestige, drama and quality remains up there with the Euros and Copa America, but the downside for European clubs is it's another tournament which falls slap bang in the middle of their seasonal calendar, meaning most teams will be losing players for up to a month.
Hansi Flick has explained his shock decision to hand Marc-Andre ter Stegen a first start in months, insisting the veteran goalkeeper deserved the "opportunity" to step back between the sticks. The Barcelona boss hailed the German’s attitude after a morale-boosting victory, though he was quick to clarify the keeper’s immediate status in the pecking order.
Barcelona striker Robert Lewandowski is reportedly 'open' to joining MLS side the Chicago Fire on a free transfer at the end of the season. The 37-year-old has held positive talks with the club about a potential move after his contract with Hansi Flick's side expires. Lionel Messi's Inter Miami have also been credited with interest in Lewandowski but may now miss out on the goalscoring great.
Manchester United reportedly complained to FIFA after Morocco refused to allow Noussair Mazraoui to play in the club's Premier League game against Bournemouth. The Red Devils believed that the defender should have been eligible under the Africa Cup of Nations release arrangements. FIFA’s regulations state that players selected for AFCON squads must be released seven days before their nation’s opening fixture, with the release period beginning on December 15 - the day of the Bournemouth clash.
After a 1-1 draw against a 10-man Sunderland side at the Stadium of Light on September 21, Aston Villa were languishing in the relegation zone and questions were being asked over Unai Emery's position as manager. The Villans finished fourth and sixth, respectively, in Emery's first two full seasons at the helm, but were winless after the opening five games of the 2025-26 campaign with only one goal on their record.
Brazilian superstar Neymar has reportedly "reached an understanding" with Santos to extend his stay at the club until the 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico. The 33-year-old returned to his boyhood team in January, following an injury-plagued spell in Saudi Arabia with Al-Hilal, but has been linked with an exit as his current contract expires at the end of the month.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber addressed two issues central to the league’s long-term direction - the possibility of promotion and relegation and the continued expansion - outlining the financial realities and developmental priorities that continue to shape its approach, even as growth opportunities remain on the horizon.
Manchester City goal machine Erling Haaland dressed up as Santa Claus to spread Christmas joy among the kids in Manchester amid his fine festive form for the Cityzens. After an injury-laden 2024-25 campaign, the Norwegian striker is back to his very best as he has already scored 23 goals in 22 matches across all competitions and has kept his side at the top of the table heading into the New Year.
FIFA have been forced into an embarrassed climbdown over World Cup ticket prices, introducing a new tier of cheaper tickets at £45 ($60) for supporters following widespread outrage and significant pressure from fan groups and national football associations. The initial pricing structure, which included the cheapest final tickets at over £3,000, was described as "laughable" and a "monumental betrayal" for fans.
FIFA has introduced a $60 “Supporter Entry Tier” for every match at the 2026 World Cup, distributing tickets through national federations to loyal fans. The move follows widespread criticism of high prices, dynamic pricing plans, and refund policies tied to team elimination.
Andreas Christensen and Marcus Rashford were on target for Barcelona in the second half as the La Liga champions secured a hard-fought 2-0 win over third-tier Spanish side CD Guadalajara in a Copa del Rey round of 32 clash on Tuesday. The minnows fought tooth and nail throughout the match and had successfully kept a clean sheet until the 76th minute but Hansi Flick's side eventually prevailed.
Unconvincing Chelsea squeezed past Cardiff City to land a place in the Carabao Cup semi-finals after a scrappy 3-1 victory over the League One outfit in South Wales. The Blues were woeful in the first-half, but the introduction of subsitutes Alejandro Garnacho and Pedro Neto proved the difference between the two sides as Enzo Maresca’s side sealed the tie with three second-half goals.