BackpagepixWhy Richards Bay opted for venue change against Kaizer Chiefs - 'It was discussed that we must not rush...'
BackpageStrategic switch for the Natal Rich Boys
Richards Bay is scheduled to face Kaizer Chiefs on Wednesday, 26 August, with the match set for an evening kick-off.
While the fixture was initially due to take place at the 2010 World Cup host venue, Moses Mabhida Stadium, it has since been moved to the more intimate Princess Magogo Stadium in KwaMashu.
The Natal Rich Boys chairman Jomo Biyela has moved quickly to clarify the reasons behind the logistical shift, citing ongoing maintenance work at the primary venue that has taken longer than the stadium management initially expected.
Backpagepix
Prioritising long-term stadium health
Speaking on the logistical hurdles faced by the club, Biyela emphasised that the safety and readiness of the infrastructure remained the top priority during internal discussions.
The chairman noted that rushing the process would have been counter-productive for all stakeholders involved.
The club is looking at the bigger picture, acknowledging that they will rely heavily on major venues for their upcoming home fixtures against other top-flight giants later in the season.
Biyela said that the club wants to ensure the facility is in peak condition for the future.
“We had to change because in the meeting, it was discussed that we must not rush this venue because there’s something that needs to be fixed,” said Biyela, as per iDiski Times.
“We are going to need this venue for the upcoming matches. So, we thought it’s important to move the match to another venue here in Durban.”
BackpagepixWeather delays and pitch conditions
Comparisons were naturally drawn to the uMhlathuze Sports Complex, which recently saw a four-week suspension ordered by the PSL, but Biyela was quick to point out that the situation at Moses Mabhida is vastly different.
When asked whether the pitch was as bad as uMhlathuze Sports Complex, Biyela responded: "No, it’s still in good condition; it’s just that there was a duration that had been placed on the stadium for the ongoing programme to be fixed."
“But we all saw the weather in the past days in Durban; work had to be halted."
External factors, specifically the unpredictable South African coastal weather, played a significant role in the delays that forced the hand of the Richards Bay hierarchy.
Recent storms in the region meant that the groundskeepers were unable to complete the necessary repairs on time.
BackpageApology to the Amakhosi faithful
Moving a game from Mabhida stadium to a smaller venue inevitably impacts the number of spectators who can witness the action live, a fact not lost on the Richards Bay leadership.
The club is well aware of the massive pull Chiefs have in Durban and surrounding areas. "What we can say, we would like to apologise to the football fans. We also know how much the club that we will play against is supported.
Despite the venue change, the chairman remains pleased that the game will still be played within the city limits, ensuring that local fans are not entirely deprived of the spectacle.
Biyela concluded by saying: "What’s important is that the match remains in Durban."
Advertisement
ENJOYED THIS STORY?
Add GOAL.com as a preferred source on Google to see more of our reporting



