Ibrahima Konate was fiercely defended by Liverpool head coach Arne Slot amid his rising errors at the back as the Reds look to end their losing run. The French centre-back was shaky against Crystal Palace, gifting two gilt-edged chances in a disastrous first half and picking up a booking in the process. A similar story unfolded at Galatasaray on Tuesday, where his hesitant defending and loose touches under pressure left fans biting their nails.
Jamie Carragher immediately expressed his concerns over Arne Slot's tactics after Liverpool had won their opening game of the new season against Bournemouth. So he was never going to hold back after watching the disturbingly ragged Reds slump to a second consecutive defeat in Tuesday's Champions League clash with Galatasaray.
Michael Owen has taken aim at Ibrahima Konate for the French defender's role in Liverpool's first defeat of the season away at Selhurst Park. Up until Saturday afternoon, the Reds had been unassailable in the Premier League, winning five of their opening five games and opening up a five-point gap at the top of the table. With Palace taking the three points, they climb to second in the table.
After primary target William Saliba agreed a new long-term deal at Arsenal, Real have reportedly turned their attention back to Ibrahim Konate. The Liverpool defender's contract expires next summer, fitting Madrid's strategy of focusing on free transfers, but there is said to be internal debate at the club over the move.
Liverpool boss Arne Slot has confirmed that Mohamed Salah and four other senior stars will sit out Tuesday’s Carabao Cup third round tie against Southampton. The Reds edged Everton 2-1 in the Merseyside derby at Anfield on Saturday, making it five wins on the bounce in all competitions. But Slot says heavy rotation is coming, with his most-used players to receive a much-needed rest.
Real Madrid are reportedly growing in confidence that they can secure Liverpool defender Ibrahima Konate on a free transfer next summer. The Frenchman, out of contract at Anfield in 2026, is said to be the subject of internal discussions among Los Blancos staff, who believe they are close to reaching a verbal agreement with the 26-year-old centre-back.
Ibrahima Konate has jokingly claimed that Kylian Mbappe calls him frequently to convince him to follow in Trent Alexander-Arnold's footsteps and join Real Madrid next summer. Konate, who has entered the final year of his contract with Liverpool, has been linked with a move to Los Blancos as he has yet to negotiate a new deal with the Premier League champions.
Arne Slot provided updates on Florian Wirtz and Ibrahima Konate after he substituted the Liverpool duo late in the Premier League clash against Arsenal on Sunday. Dominik Szoboszlai's world-class free-kick in the 83rd minute gave Liverpool a 1-0 win to maintain their 100% start to the season.
Former Crystal Palace defender James Tomkins has advised Liverpool to sign Marc Guehi from the Eagles as he considers his former team-mate as an upgrade over Ibrahima Konate. The Premier League champions have been linked with a move for the England international all through the summer and even saw two offers rejected by Palace.
Real Madrid have reportedly sent shockwaves through Anfield after opening direct lines with Ibrahima Konate over a blockbuster move to the Bernabeu. The 26-year-old has become one of the Premier League’s most dependable centre-backs at Merseyside, but his future now hangs in the balance. Madrid’s interest comes at a critical moment as his contract with the Reds runs out at the end of this season, leaving the club at risk of losing him for nothing.
Real Madrid are not reportedly giving up on William Saliba as Los Blancos prepare a delegation to negotiate with Arsenal for the French defender. Xabi Alonso's focus has shifted as concerns grow over their current defensive depth, following a troubling display against Paris Saint-Germain in New Jersey during the Club World Cup.