Fifteen years ago, Manchester City were so enamoured with the all-conquering Barcelona that they sought to replicate the same structure. They began by hiring chief executive Ferran Soriano and sporting director Txiki Begiristain, before eventually landing Pep Guardiola to manage the team. All that was missing was Lionel Messi - though they nearly signed the eight-time Ballon d'Or winner at the very start of the Abu Dhabi-led project by mistake!
Alisha Lehmann was happy to “back her boys” when wading into a heated handball argument during the latest round of Baller League fixtures. The Swiss forward, who is plying her club trade in Italy for Como Women, has teamed up with Maya Jama again - the Love Island-presenting partner of Manchester City defender Ruben Dias - to oversee events at MVPs United.
England international Ivan Toney was led away in handcuffs after allegedly headbutting another reveller in a London nightclub. The 29-year-old striker, who now plays his club football in the Saudi Pro League for Al-Ahli, was looking to enjoy an evening out with friends during a visit to his homeland. He found himself caught up in an unfortunate incident that saw said festivities cut short.
Former Premier League boss Gus Poyet has quit his post at South Korean club Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors days after his assistant manager departed amid a racism scandal. Poyet, who guided Jeonbuk to both the K League 1 title and the Korea Cup this season, informed the club he wished to terminate his contract after Mauricio Taricco was handed a severe punishment for what league officials deemed a racist gesture towards referee Kim Woo-seong.
It's not every day that this version of Arsenal lose. In fact, Saturday's late 2-1 defeat at Aston Villa was just their second defeat of the 2025-26 season, following on from August's 1-0 loss at Liverpool, a result which hasn't aged well at all in glorious hindsight. There's still, however, a feeling that the Gunners are under increasing pressure to deliver this season more than any before under Mikel Arteta.
Neymar's second spell at Santos has, for the most part, been a disappointment. The injury problems that have plagued the Brazilian's career followed him back home, and as a result, he has been unable to build up any proper rhythm. He only featured in 20 of Santos' 38 Serie A games in the 2025 season, scoring eight goals, and is still waiting for a recall to the Brazil national team squad after a two-year absence.
Christian Pulisic says that he was “truly dead” a couple of days prior to delivering two-goal heroics for AC Milan in their dramatic win over Torino. The USMNT star stepped off his sick bed and the substitutes’ bench to make a decisive contribution to a contest that has taken the Rossoneri back to the top of the Serie A table - level on points with defending champions Napoli.
Toluca stirred controversy after booking their place in the Apertura 2025 Final and knocking out Monterrey, aiming their celebration directly at Sergio Ramos. The Spaniard had earlier silenced the Nemesio Diez crowd after scoring Rayados’ lone goal in a 3-1 defeat. After the elimination, the Diablos turned his gesture against him - and Ramos didn’t hold back.
A man has pleaded guilty to stalking Liverpool star Marie Hobinger after sending her inappropriate and sexualised messages. Mangal Dalal, from London, sent the midfielder a string of messages via Instagram, which included his mobile number and postcode, as well as asking her to visit him. The 42-year-old was also charged with stalking as a result of the electronic communications between January and February this year.
Enzo Maresca has revealed why Cole Palmer missed Chelsea's latest training session and why he won't play against Atalanta in the Champions League on Tuesday. The 23-year-old has had an injury-hit season but did make his first start since September in the Blues' goalless draw with Bournemouth last weekend. However, it appears the Club World Cup champions are playing it safe with the playmaker.
Mason Mount has vowed to build on his positive run of form with Manchester United after a stop-start career at Old Trafford. The midfielder volleyed home a Bruno Fernandes cross to score his second goal in three matches and his third of the season as the Red Devils hammered Wolves 4-1 away from home on Monday to move into sixth in the Premier League table.
Wrexham's Hollywood owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob Mac have sold a minority Wrexham stake to new Atletico Madrid owners Apollo Sports Capital. The fresh round of investment will provide added funding for the club's stadium redevelopment. The iconic Racecourse Ground is undergoing a serious facelift as the Red Dragons remain focused on fulfilling their dream of competing in the Premier League.
U.S. international Christian Pulisic, battling the flu, came off the bench and scored twice in 10 minutes on Monday night to spark AC Milan’s dramatic 3-2 comeback win over Torino, sending the Rossoneri back to the top of Serie A. His introduction in the 66th minute proved to be the catalyst for a remarkable turnaround at the Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino.
Bruno Fernandes was back to his best to guide Manchester United past a sorry Wolves and into the Premier League's top six. The United captain scored twice and got an assist in a 4-1 win at Molineux although it was not a trouble-free night for the Red Devils, who suffered the embarrassment of being the first team to concede a league goal to Wolves since October.
Arne Slot has confirmed a key Liverpool player will miss his side's Champions League trip to Inter Milan due to injury. The Reds were left reeling after Mohamed Salah accused the club of "throwing him under the bus" amid his struggles to get back into their starting XI. After it emerged that the 33-year-old won't travel to Italy, a team-mate of his also won't feature.
Wolves' home ground Molineux was half-empty during the first half of their Premier League clash against Manchester United on Monday. Wolves have made a nightmare start to their 2025-26 campaign as they are yet to win a match in the Premier League after 15 games and are placed at rock bottom on the league table with only three points, as they stare at possible relegation.
Jamie Carragher believes Mohamed Salah's anti-Liverpool tirade was a "disgrace" and accused him of causing "maximum damage" with his outburst. The 33-year-old stated that the Reds have "thrown him under the bus" after being repeatedly benched by manager Arne Slot, while arguing that he deserves a place in their starting line-up. But Carragher feels the Egyptian is trying to get Slot sacked.
Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson reveals he has not spoken to team-mate Mohamed Salah following the Egyptian's public outburst against the Reds and manager Arne Slot. After being left out on the bench for the third consecutive Premier League game against Leeds United last weekend, the Reds star went on an explosive rant in front of the media as he hinted he could even exit Anfield in January.
Former Manchester United defender Jonny Evans has left his role as head of loans and pathways after six months in the role at Old Trafford. At 37, Evans decided to hang up his boots after his second spell as a player with the Red Devils came to an end last summer. In his first period at Old Trafford, Evans won the Premier League, Champions League, League Cup and Club World Cup.
Arne Slot says he has "no clue" whether Mohamed Salah has played his last game for Liverpool after claiming the club had "thrown him under the bus". The 33-year-old was an unused substitute in the Reds' 3-3 draw with Leeds United at the weekend, prompting him to state that "someone doesn't want him" at the title holders. Now, Slot has addressed the matter for the first time.
Premier League leaders Arsenal will travel to Championship side Portsmouth in round three of the FA Cup, while holders Crystal Palace head to non-league outfit Macclesfield. English giants Manchester City and Liverpool host League One teams Exeter and Barnsley respectively and Manchester United take on Brighton in an all-Premier League affair.
Tottenham Hotspur manager Thomas Frank finally opened up on Yves Bissouma's laughing gas allegations after Spurs launched an internal investigation into the midfielder’s conduct. Bissouma is facing fresh disciplinary action from the north London club after footage emerged of the midfielder inhaling laughing gas for the second time in just over a year.
Senne Lammens admits he is flattered Manchester United fans are likening him to legendary goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel. The 23-year-old joined from Belgian Pro League side Royal Antwerp and has made a good impression with Red Devils supporters over the past few months. And after these favourable chants from the home faithful, the keeper has sent a grateful message back to them.
Gabriel Jesus will reportedly not be registered in Arsenal's Champions League squad for the league phase of the competition as Cristhian Mosquera's injury is worse than originally feared. The Brazilian is coming back from a serious knee injury that has kept him out since the start of the year but just as he nears a first-team return, it seems the forward has been dealt a new blow.
Vinicius Junior is all set to face Erling Haaland in the international arena as a Brazil football chief has revealed plans to organise a pre-World Cup friendly with Norway in a potential repeat of the 1998 classic. The Manchester City goal machine emerged as the highest scorer in the 2026 World Cup qualifiers as his 16 goals helped Norway reach the finals in North America.
Former Manchester City player Joey Barton has received a suspended sentence for 'grossly offensive' social media posts to football pundits Eni Aluko and Lucy Ward and broadcaster Jeremy Vine. The 43-year-old was handed a six-month prison sentence, which is suspended for 18 months. The ex-Newcastle United man claims that he "never meant to hurt anyone" with his electronic communications.
A woman who blackmailed Son Heung-min with a pregnancy claim and extorted the LAFC star for over £150,000 during his Tottenham spell has been sentenced to jail. The South Korean woman allegedly sent an ultrasound of a baby she claimed was Son's in 2024 and blackmailed the former Premier League star for over a year before being detained by Seoul police.
Napoli have reportedly identified Manchester United's Kobbie Mainoo as their primary January transfer target, with manager Antonio Conte desperate to sign the 20-year-old on loan to cover for a midfield crisis that has seen Frank Anguissa, Kevin De Bruyne and Billy Gilmour all sidelined.