Former Liverpool player Jamie Carragher has been suspended from his role as a pundit on Sky Sports until the end of the season.
Carragher, 40, was caught on video spitting at a car following Liverpool's 2-1 defeat by Manchester United last weekend, having been heckled by the driver.
The former England centre-back has previously apologised for the incident, stating on Twitter: "Totally out of order and I've apologised personally to all the family this evening.
"I was goaded three or four times along the motorway while being filmed and lost my rag. No excuse apologies."
Nevertheless, his employers have taken a dim view of the situation.
In a statement, Sky said: "Following an internal review, Sky has suspended Jamie Carragher for the remainder of the football season.
"Jamie has taken full responsibility for what has happened and we will ensure he gets the help he needs to guarantee something like this never happens again.
"Before the start of the next season we will sit down with Jamie to discuss whether he is ready to return to his role."
Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville, who works with Carragher as a pundit for Sky Sports, expressed his view earlier this week that his colleague should be allowed to remain in his role.
Neville posted on Twitter: "I've just watched @Carra23 say sorry. No excuses he's made a big mistake.
"He's massively passionate about football and he's overstepped the mark and shouldn't have reacted.
"I've been on TV for three years with him and imo [in my opinion] this isolated incident shouldn't stop us working together."
I’ve just watched Carra23 say sorry. No excuses he’s made a big mistake . He’s massively passionate about football and he’s overstepped the mark and shouldn’t have reacted . I’ve been on TV for 3 years with him and imo this isolated incident shouldn’t stop us working together— Gary Neville (@GNev2) March 12, 2018
Meanwhile, the family of the driver have appealed for him to be treated lightly, despite having claimed to have received death threats following the publication of the video.
On Wednesday morning, Carragher appealed for the threats against the driver's family to stop.
I’ve made a big mistake & accept full responsibility. I am the only person to blame for this sorry situation, so please leave the family alone. https://t.co/HBuCBRyvJF— Jamie Carragher (@Carra23) March 14, 2018
Taking to Twitter, he said: "I’ve made a big mistake & accept full responsibility. I am the only person to blame for this sorry situation, so please leave the family alone."