- Visited Sheffield Utd after 3-3 draw
- Huge underdogs
- Close to historic FA Cup upset
WHAT HAPPENED? Wrexham entered the game as underdogs having allowed a hard-to-swallow equaliser in a 3-3 draw at home last month to set up the fourth-round FA Cup replay. After going down 1-0 on Tuesday, they responded with a converted penalty from Paul Mullin, but the forward missed a second spot-kick a few minutes later.
Sheffield United's Billy Sharp and Sander Berge put the game away with goals in stoppage time. Sharp's winner was preventable, coming from a long ball that bounced through a defender's legs and into the Sheffield United player's path.
THE BIGGER PICTURE: Wrexham have achieved international prominence despite being a fifth-tier club. They were purchased by actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney and they star in the streaming docuseries "Welcome to Wrexham". The FA Cup presented a chance to face clubs with much more resources, and they came so close to upsetting a Championship team in Sheffield United.
IN THREE PHOTOS:
Getty ImagesGetty ImagesGetty Images
WHAT NEXT FOR WREXHAM? Their next FA Cup opponent would have been Tottenham if they advanced, but they'll now return to National League action where they're in second place.
- Given Msimango: Everything you need to know about Chiefs new boy & Pirates transfer target
- 'Broos like Pitso, but should resign if Bafana lose'
- What Msimango, Ditlhokwe arrivals mean for Mathoho & co
- 'Zwane was worse than Tau, only Pitso can save us now'
- PSL Transfers: Burnley to battle Downs for Percy Tau