The biggest cheer heard around the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Wednesday evening was when Olivier Giroud attempted an acrobatic volley, but instead landed on his backside. It was that bleak.
Trailing 1-0 from the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie with AC Milan, Spurs did not play like a side that needed a goal. On the rare occasions that they did venture close enough to Milan's penalty area to set the pulses racing they invariably ran out of ideas. Completely toothless.
In a game of very few chances, the Rossoneri always looked more likely to score, with Junior Messias pulling an effort just wide in the first half and Brahim Diaz drawing a good save from Fraser Forster when he shot from close range.
Cristian Romero's silly sending off 12 minutes from time all but confirmed Spurs' elimination, though AC Milan goalkeeper Mike Maignan was forced to the rescue in the final moments when he kept out a shot from Harry Kane.
Here are GOAL's player ratings from a grim night in north London...
- Predicting Super Eagles XI vs Guinea-Bissau: Peseiro HAS to make changes
- Nigeria 0-1 Guinea-Bissau: How did THAT happen?
- ‘Guinea fowl beat Super Chickens’, ‘They were Super Pigeons today’, ‘Most useless team on the planet?’
- Nigeria Super Eagles squad: Introducing Peseiro's 23
- Come on, Carlo, take the Brazil job! 💪