- Referee gave 18 yellow cards
- De Jong says decisions were "outrageous"
- Messi was also critical of official
WHAT HAPPENED? The official showed 18 yellow cards during the match, including two during the penalty shootout, as Argentina sent Netherlands crashing out of the tournament after the two teams played out a 2-2 draw over 120 minutes. De Jong feels Lahoz's attitude changed in extra time after the Argentina squad surrounded him.
WHAT THEY SAID: "When regular playing time was over, the Argentina players all went to him and from then on he only whistled for Argentina," he told reporters. "Jurrien Timber's shoe was kicked off, but then he whistled for a foul against us. Luuk [de Jong] just wins a normal header and he blows his whistle, they kick the ball into our dugout, he doesn't care.
"[Lionel] Messi takes the ball with his hand, just lets it go. He was really scandalous. He is a nice guy. Normally he is also a good referee. But what he showed in extra time was outrageous. I think he really lost his way. It's not his fault, but it has a big influence on the game."
THE BIGGER PICTURE: De Jong is not the only player to have criticised Lahoz after the game. Even Messi hit out at the Spaniard, suggesting he was not "up to the task".
IN THREE PHOTOS:GettyGettyGetty
DID YOU KNOW? The quarter-final clash between Netherlands and Argentina saw more cards shown to players than any match in World Cup history, surpassing the match between Cameroon and Germany in 2002, which had 12 yellow and two red cards.
WHAT NEXT FOR DE JONG? The Dutch midfielder will likely come up against Lahoz in the near future as he will return to La Liga action with Barcelona, starting with a match against Espanyol on December 31.
- Predicting Super Eagles XI vs Guinea-Bissau: Peseiro HAS to make changes
- Nigeria 0-1 Guinea-Bissau: How did THAT happen?
- ‘Guinea fowl beat Super Chickens’, ‘They were Super Pigeons today’, ‘Most useless team on the planet?’
- Nigeria Super Eagles squad: Introducing Peseiro's 23
- Come on, Carlo, take the Brazil job! 💪