Manchester United remain a potent force in the transfer market, despite their on-pitch struggles in the Premier League and in Europe over the course of the past few seasons.
However, while the Red Devils have been able to bring high-profile stars to Old Trafford for considerable fees, things haven't exactly worked out on that front either.
Boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has hinted that he needs more midfield additions to his squad, but it could be argued that the defence and attack have been lacking, so there is work to be done in the market.
Goal will keep you on top of all the latest transfer news, rumours and gossip regarding Manchester United's targets right here with regular updates.
- Top Man Utd transfer targets
- Latest Man Utd transfer news & rumours
- Potential Man Utd exits
- Confirmed Utd transfers
Allowing Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez to depart Old Trafford for Inter during the summer raised plenty of eyebrows, but it was apparent that Solskjaer was confident in the abilities of his remaining forwards.
However, while Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford have tremendous chemistry, the squad is quite lightweight when it comes to attacking options. Indeed, there is no recognised out-and-out centre-forward.
Having missed out on Erling Braut Haaland and Mario Mandzukic, Jimenez has emerged as the priority target.
The deal had been on the verge of collapse after Sporting objected to what they felt were unrealistic clauses - such as United winning the Champions League and Fernandes scooping the Ballon d'Or.
Another Wolves player who is on Manchester United's radar is 22-year-old midfielder Ruben Neves and the club are certainly keen to bring in reinforcements in that area, be it in January or the summer.
However, while he has been linked with the Red Devils in the past, it is understood that Neves is not overly excited by the prospect of a move to Old Trafford, so a blockbuster offer could be required.
Man Utd closing in on Ighalo
According to the Athletic, the Red Devils are nearing a loan move for Shanghai Greenland Shenhua striker Odion Ighalo after missing out on Bournemouth ace Joshua King.
Bellingham bid rejected
Birmingham have rejected a £20 million ($26m) offer from Manchester United for Jude Bellingham - according to ESPN.
The Red Devils were prepared to pay £8.5 million ($11m) upfront with a series of add-ons, but the Blues are holding out for higher fee for the 16-year-old.
'Man Utd need more than just Bruno'
Manchester United fending off apparent interest from Barcelona to land Bruno Fernandes is great news for the club, but Dimitar Berbatov says it is going to take much more than “one man to turn things around”.
“I would like to be proven wrong and of course I want him to do well but it's foolish just to rely on him," said Berbatov. "It shows intent from United and I hope they buy someone else."
Solskjaer not expecting further signings
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer does not expect Manchester United to make any more signings before the end of the January transfer window.
The Premier League side have bought one player this month, having completed the €55 million (£47m/$60m) signing of midfielder Bruno Fernandes from Sporting on Thursday.
United are said to be looking to invest in attack, too, as Marcus Rashford will be out for around two months with a back injury.
Man Utd make Ings approach
Manchester United's hunt for a new striker led them to asking about Danny Ings' availability.
Howe not ruling out King exit amid Man Utd talk
Eddie Howe could not rule out the possibility of Joshua King leaving that club on transfer deadline day.
Bournemouth rejected Manchester United's initial offer for him, but reports claim the attacker wants to move to Old Trafford and the club could come back in for him before Friday's deadline.
And Howe is unsure if his side will hold on to King, though he hopes they do.
Door open for Rojo Man Utd future
Marcos Rojo still has a future at Manchester United, says Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, with the Red Devils ready to welcome the defender back once a loan spell at Estudiantes comes to a close.
“Marcos is a lovely lad," said the Red Devils boss. "He's got the fire in his belly, he's a winner and he wasn't getting enough football here."
The most obvious potential departee from Manchester United is Paul Pogba and his future at the club has been thrown into severe doubt following pronouncements by his agent Mino Raiola.
"Today I wouldn’t bring anyone else [to Manchester United]," Raiola said in an explosive interview with La Repubblica in January.
"They would ruin even [Diego] Maradona, Pele and [Paolo] Maldini. Paul needs a team and a society, one like at Juve before."
Solskjaer is adamant hat the World Cup winner won't be leaving in January, but it would seem that it's now just a matter of when and not if.
Nemanja Matic appears resigned to leaving United and the midfielder's contract is running down, something he conceded means he must assess his options .
Joining Matic through the exit doors could be defensive duo Marcos Rojo and Phil Jones, while Eric Bailly's stock has also diminished.
Tahith Chong is set to leave Old Trafford, with his contract expiring in the summer.
A number of Italian clubs are interested in the 20-year-old, with Juventus and Inter among the frontrunners for his signature .
Man Utd signings
Man Utd departures
|Ethan Hamilton||Bolton Wanderers||Loan|
|Max Taylor||Stalybridge Celtic||Loan|
|Alex Fojticek||Stalybridge Celtic||Loan|