Wednesday's remaining PSL action review: SuperSport register first win of the season, while Baroka stun Cape Town City

Matsatsantsa returned to winning ways, while Phunya Sele Sele, Ea Lla Koto and Bakgaga all earned three points on Wednesday

Matchday two of the 2018/19 Premier Soccer League (PSL) continued on Wednesday evening with several mouth-watering encounters on offer.

Baroka v Cape Town City

In arguably one of the most intriguing clashes of the night, the Citizens were left shell shocked as Baroka put on an impressive display.

City coach Benni McCarthy was forced into making a host of changes as the Cape Town-based outfit were without key players. The likes of Teko Modise, Kwanda Mngonyama, Edmilson Dove and Ebrahim Seedat were all sidelined with injury and the void was in the fact that City were undone by two set pieces in the opening stanza.

With 6 minutes played a Baroka corner led to Mpho Kgaswane heading past Sage Stephens at his near post.

Furthermore, with 20 minutes on the clock, Matome Kgoetyane added to McCarthy’s frustrations. An in swinging free kick from the right side of the field was met with a powerful header by the 27-year-old.

City though, would plot a steady fightback in the second half as McCarthy made several changes. Most notably, he threw on Siphelele Mthembu. The substitute made an almost immediate impact as his bullish nature saw him cause havoc in the Bakgaga box and he capitalised on a mistake by the Baroka keeper as he narrowed Baroka's advantage.

While City continued to bombard the home side’s goal, they were unable to break down the defence, as they registered their first defeat of the season.

SuperSport United v AmaZulu

Elsewhere in the country, Matsatsantsa bounced back following their recent defeat in Cape Town. While both teams attacked each other with vigour in the first half, SuperSport did look the more threatening and were eventually rewarded for their perseverance.

With 48 minutes played, Evans Rusike got off the mark as he linked up with James Keene and the Zimbabwean made no mistake as he punished AmaZulu from close range.

The goal opened up the game and Ronwen Williams would be the hero on the night as he made a sensational save to deny Usuthu on the hour mark.

However, with time running out, it was the Tshwane -based outfit who were back on the front foot. But they were kept at bay, as they walked away with a slender 1-0 victory.

Free State Stars v Maritzburg United

In a repeat of last season’s Nedbank Cup final, once against Ea Lla Koto imposed their authority.

Going into the half-time interval, the Team of Choice would have been positive in their hopes of bouncing back following their opening game defeat. But it was not to be as they fell behind just after the hour mark thanks to Harris Tchilimbou, who struck from the penalty spot.

The goal saw Maritzburg grow frustrated and Fortune Makaringe was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence. The difference in number’s left the KwaZulu-Natal outfit vulnerable at the back and Goodman Dlamini came up with the killer blow.

Despite, Maritzburg trailing by two goals, Fadlu Davids’ men were not willing to give up without a fight and found a consolation goal through new signing Keletso Makgalwa at the death.

Golden Arrows v Bloemfontein Celtic

Article continues below

Lastly, in the final game of the evening, Celtic continued from where they left off on the weekend as they claimed a 2-0 win.

In a tight first half, Steve Komphela’s men found the breakthrough as Tshegofatso Mabaso opened the scoring following an impressive counter attack.

Celtic would certainly have been the happier of the two sides headed into the break, and the second half saw them execute their game plan to perfection as Kabelo Dlamini showed good composure to beat the Abafana Bes’thende keeper just after the half-hour break.