Diego Simeone freely admitted that he felt an overriding sense of relief after Atletico Madrid picked up their first win of the new Liga season on Saturday. As the Rojiblancos boss admitted after the 2-0 victory over Villarreal, "It wasn't just another day, after only two points from three matches."
Alexander Isak might make his debut in Liverpool colours as Arne Slot revealed his plan ahead of the Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid, with the striker included in the matchday squad. The Swede, snatched from Newcastle United for a jaw-dropping £125 million ($171m), has been handed the legendary No.9 jersey and is poised to finally step onto the pitch in front of the Kop.
Arne Slot has jumped to the defence of Florian Wirtz after his slow start at Liverpool, while hitting out at those criticising the club's lavish spending. The Reds have been targeted after splashing £116 million ($158m) on the German and £450m ($615m) on arrivals overall, but Slot says that is not a fair assessment.
The MET office has delivered an update amid fears Liverpool's Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid could be postponed due to extreme weather. A yellow weather warning was issued ahead of the match warning of gusty winds that could disrupt travel and cause power outages.
Julian Alvarez has been left out of Atletico Madrid's squad to face Liverpool in their Champions League opener, with USMNT midfielder Johnny Cardoso also missing due to an injury. Alvarez has been a mainstay in Diego Simeone's side since completing his move to the Spanish club from Manchester City in 2024, and has two goal contributions to his name from four appearances so far this season.
Liverpool have been told that they have “one hell of a player” on their hands in Federico Chiesa, with the Reds yet to see the Italian forward’s “true qualities”. The European Championship winner was heavily linked with a move elsewhere in the summer transfer window, but the deadline passed with no deal done and he remains part of Arne Slot’s plans at Anfield.
'The Chaaaaampions'. That's right - the most famous anthem in world football is set to ring out around Europe yet again as the 2025-26 Champions League season gets under way this week. Thirty-six teams are vying it out to lift the European Cup in Budapest on May 30, but can any of them take Paris Saint-Germain's crown away from them?
Clear your calendar for Tuesday and Wednesday nights going forward - the Champions League is back as 36 of Europe's best teams prepare to do battle across the continent over the next nine months. Last season's tournament, complete with the brand-new league phase, turned into an epic, and the 2025-26 edition of the premier club competition on the planet promises to be no different.
Julian Alvarez’s agent has poured cold water on rumours linking the Argentine World Cup winner with a sensational switch to Liverpool in the summer of 2024. Reports had claimed the Reds proposed a swap involving Luis Diaz, but Fernando Hidalgo has now confirmed there were no official approaches, insisting the forward remains fully committed to Atletico Madrid.
Andy Robertson has leapt to Milos Kerkez's defence after the new Liverpool left-back was taken off early in their 1-0 win at Burnley. The 21-year-old has taken the Scot's place in the Reds' starting lineup but the experienced defender is still backing the Hungarian to the hilt.
Erling Haaland was back to his very best as the striker led Manchester City to a thumping derby win over Manchester United on Sunday. The Norwegian made yet more history, becoming the joint-top scorer in the fixture as well as the fastest player to reach 90 Premier League goals. And a beaming Pep Guardiola declared that Haaland was in the best form of his career.
Portugal assistant coach Ricardo Carvalho has opened up on the team's struggle to cope with the tragic death of Diogo Jota, describing the Liverpool forward as a "five-star person." The comments come over two months after Jota and his brother were killed in a car accident, with Carvalho admitting the squad is still processing the loss.
Liverpool considered making a huge call on Mohamed Salah before his history-making, match-winning penalty at Burnley. The Reds looked to be heading to a frustrating 0-0 draw at Turf Moor but the Egyptian's stoppage-time spot-kick ensured their 100 per cent start to the season continued.
Manchester City are ready to rival Liverpool for potential free agent Marc Guehi next summer. The Reds agreed a deal to sign the Crystal Palace centre-back in the summer but the move collapsed on deadline day as the Eagles pulled the plug at the eleventh hour. Now, the Reds face intense competition for his signature, with his contract expiring.
Alexander Isak’s arrival at Liverpool will allow some goal-scoring responsibility to be shifted away from Mohamed Salah, but the Egyptian superstar has been told that the addition of another forward “won’t improve” his numbers. Salah has been a revelation for the Reds, but they have now splashed out £125 million ($170m) on adding Swedish striker Isak to their ranks.
Andrew Robertson has revealed how close he came to leaving Liverpool for Atletico Madrid in the summer. The Scotland international was linked with a surprise move to LaLiga after the Reds secured the signing of Milos Kerkez from Bournemouth but he ultimately chose to stay put on Merseyside and fight for his place.
Arne Slot has further outlined Liverpool’s plan for Alexander Isak, with the Reds reluctant to rush the £125 million ($170m) striker into making his debut. Isak has, after completing a record-breaking transfer from Newcastle to Anfield, become the most expensive player in British football. He is, however, lacking fitness and sharpness on the back of a hectic summer.
Manchester United have been urged to launch a January swoop for Marc Guehi after the Crystal Palace captain's proposed move to Liverpool fell through. The centre-back was set to move to Anfield on deadline day but, at the eleventh hour, the move collapsed, leaving Guehi to spend at least the first half of the season at Selhurst Park.
Real Madrid manager Xabi Alonso led tributes as Liverpool legend John Toshack made a rare public appearance in Spain during Real Sociedad's La Liga clash against Los Blancos on Saturday. Toshack spent eight years as a player at Anfield and later managed several clubs across Europe, including Real Sociedad and Madrid, where he even won a La Liga title in the 1989-90 season.
That first international break of the season always comes at just the wrong time. With teams starting to get into the groove as they switch from pre-season to competitive action, and with the final new signings of the summer arriving on deadline day, that Premier League fans had to wait two weeks to see their teams in action was almost a travesty. Fortunately, that wait is now over.
Liverpool manager Arne Slot admitted he could not fully trust Milos Kerkez to avoid a red card after the Hungarian’s early dive against Burnley. The left-back was hooked in the 38th minute following a yellow card, with Andy Robertson replacing him. The switch paid off as Liverpool held firm before sealing a 1-0 win thanks to Mohamed Salah’s late penalty.
Arne Slot has hinted at the timetable Liverpool have lined up for Alexander Isak, with the most expensive player in British football seeing his Reds debut delayed. The decision was taken not to include the Swedish striker in plans for a trip to Burnley, with the £125 million ($169m) frontman being eased into long-term plans by the reigning Premier League champions.
Arne Slot has defended his decision to delay Alexander Isak’s Liverpool debut by pointing to Yoane Wissa’s recent injury at Newcastle. The Reds’ £125 million ($170m) signing was left out of the squad against Burnley, with the Dutchman warning that rushing him back after a summer stand-off and no pre-season could risk long-term damage to the Swedish striker.