Are you 24 or older?

Help us verify your age by providing an honest response. This site contains gambling advertising for 24+.

Age-restricted content

You’re not old enough to view betting content. You’ll be redirected to the homepage.

alt
Gianni InfantinoGetty Images

Translated by

The Qatari federation clashes with the Asian body again over Infantino

The Qatar Football Association has renewed its objection to how the Asian Football Confederation reaches its decisions, insisting no consultations took place with member associations before the continental body signed a joint open letter alongside UEFA and CONCACAF that criticised FIFA president Gianni Infantino.

Infantino is preparing to contest new elections next year, and he now faces unprecedented criticism. The letter attacked his handling of the failed attempt to attract private investment to the World Cup, and it raised questions about his leadership style.

The two sides have traded a series of sharp exchanges, and the latest instalment was seen by "Reuters". Qatar Football Association president Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmed Al Thani, one of Infantino's most prominent supporters, said the AFC's response to his original complaint "raised far more questions than it provided answers".

Read also

The only exception: why won't referees be able to speak to fans from Real Madrid's stadium?

Deco tries to offload a Barcelona player, and Mendes searches for an exit

Al Thani wrote in his letter: "The Asian Football Confederation's response constitutes an admission that no consultations were held, whether with the AFC executive committee, with member associations, or through any other mechanism, before the statement was issued in their name."

He added: "Regardless of how comprehensively the AFC's response addresses the (FIFA Forward Enterprise) initiative, FIFA's conduct, or the precedents relating to AFC statements, none of that answers the fundamental question posed: were the member associations consulted before the statement was issued in their name? The answer is: it did not happen."

Critics rounded on Infantino over the "FIFA Forward Enterprise" initiative for one reason above all: he had prepared it without consulting the continental confederations before putting it directly to the 211 member associations under FIFA's umbrella.

Qatar was one of six Asian national associations to back Infantino in the early stages of the crisis that erupted after the proposal failed.

A rare disclosure

Correspondence like this between senior officials rarely surfaces within the corridors of the Asian Football Confederation, which traditionally prefers to settle its disputes and internal issues away from the spotlight.

AFC president Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim Al Khalifa had rejected, in a letter he sent last Tuesday, what he described as "allegations" that he had exceeded his powers by signing the joint letter.

The Bahraini official said he holds "the authority and responsibility" to take the necessary measures to defend the interests of Asian football. He criticised the Qatar Football Association for focusing on procedural and technical aspects "rather than the general interest of the game".

"He does not have the authority"

Al Thani hit back in his response, arguing that Sheikh Salman does not have the authority to speak on behalf of the 47 member associations without prior authorisation or approval from them. He stressed that the confederation's executive committee determines the powers of the AFC president.

A member of the FIFA Council, Al Thani also sits on the executive committee of the Asian Football Confederation.

Sheikh Salman had also pointed out that AFC presidents previously issued statements on issues considered to be of importance to the continent. Among them was support for Qatar during its hosting of the 2022 World Cup in the face of international criticism and pressure.

Al Thani responded to this by saying: "Any statements issued in support of the 2022 World Cup reflected the institutional interest of the Asian Football Confederation in the successful organisation of the tournament on the Asian continent."

He concluded his letter by saying: "Unfortunately, the Asian Football Confederation's response cannot be considered a satisfactory answer to the legitimate and important questions posed by the Qatar Football Association."

You can discuss topics and news in greater depth in the "Kooora" forums.

Advertisement

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Add GOAL.com as a preferred source on Google to see more of our reporting

Add as preferred source on Google