Ruben Amorim has been told he will have to shoulder his portion of blame for the failures of his reign in charge as Manchester United boss. Amorim was informed of his sacking by United chiefs on Monday morning and has come in for stiff criticism, including from reporters in his native Portugal, with the focus on his insistence on sticking with his much-maligned 3-4-3 system.
Just hours after he was sacked by Manchester United, Ruben Amorim put on a brave face and shared a few words with photographers after heading out for a wintry walk with his wife Maria Joao Diogo. The Portuguese boss was given the boot following an explosive attack on United hierarchy and came less than 24 hours after another poor performance in the draw with Leeds United.
Ruben Amorim has become the sixth Manchester United manager to be sacked in less than 13 years, with the Portuguese's hugely disappointing tenure coming to an end on Monday in acrimonious circumstances. Amorim lasted less than 14 months in charge at Old Trafford, making his stint the second-shortest of all the coaches to step into the Old Trafford dugout on a permanent basis.
Manchester United have finally put Ruben Amorim out of his misery. On Monday morning, the 20-time champions of England announced that the Portuguese had "departed his role as head coach" and that the decision had been "reluctantly" made to "give the team the best opportunity of the highest possible Premier League finish". Of course, the table doesn't make for particularly poor reading for United.
Ruben Amorim was sacked by Man United on Monday morning following a disappointing draw with Leeds, but it may have been the Portuguese boss's behaviour leading up to it which prompted his untimely exit from the Old Trafford hot seat, rather than results alone. Amorim sensationally fell out with United chiefs and caused tactical confusion within the squad before the decision to relieve him of his duties.
Edu Gaspar is reportedly fighting to save his job at Nottingham Forest just months into his lucrative £3 million-a-year contract, with the former Arsenal director coming under intense scrutiny from ruthless owner Evangelos Marinakis. The Brazilian’s position is said to be hanging by a thread following a catastrophic breakdown in relations with former boss Nuno Espirito Santo and a disastrous transfer strategy that has left the club staring down the barrel of relegation.
Manchester City are reportedly mulling over a January move for Crystal Palace captain Marc Guehi as Pep Guardiola sees injury problems mount at the Etihad Stadium. The Blues are considering dipping into the winter transfer market for reinforcements after two more senior stars picked up knocks in a draw with Chelsea that has rocked their Premier League title aspirations.
Manchester United reportedly made the decision to sack Ruben Amorim ahead of the 1-1 draw with Leeds that proved to be his final game at the helm. It is claimed that the Portuguese “blew up” in a meeting with director of football Jason Wilcox prior to the clash at Elland Road taking place, with that outburst ultimately sealing his fate.
Real Madrid have devised a fresh strategy to lure Rodri away from Manchester City, with the Spanish giants looking to capitalise on the midfielder's stalling contract talks. Los Blancos view the Ballon d'Or winner as the ultimate target to complete their midfield evolution at the Santiago Bernabeu, and startling reports from Spain suggest a blockbuster transfer offensive could be launched.
Crystal Palace boss Oliver Glasner has reportedly emerged as Manchester United’s “top target” to replace Ruben Amorim. The Red Devils find themselves in the market for a new manager after taking the decision to relieve Portuguese tactician Amorim of his duties. Glasner has impressed in the Premier League at Selhurst Park and is on the radar of those at Old Trafford, although an interim appointment is expected to see out the remainder of the 2025-26 campaign.
Real Madrid have been offered the chance to sign Crystal Palace sensation Adam Wharton, but Los Blancos will face fierce competition for his signature. Premier League giants Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea are all tracking the midfielder, who will reportedly cost at least €70 million and is demanding a huge salary to leave Selhurst Park.
GOAL brings you all the latest on Ruben Amorim's sacking after Manchester United's decision to get rid of their manager following Sunday's 1-1 draw away at bitter rivals Leeds. The Portuguese sent a message to the club's board following the game at Elland Road, insisting he came to Old Trafford 'to be the manager, not the coach', but he now finds himself out of the job entirely after his passionate press conference rant.
The jig is up for Ruben Amorim. After 14 unforgettable months as head coach, he has been sacked by Manchester United. He broke many records for the wrong reasons, lost a European final to Tottenham and was dumped out of the Carabao Cup by fourth-tier side Grimsby Town. Yet it is only now that those upstairs at Old Trafford have decided to pull the trigger.
Ruben Amorim was fighting a losing battle with his own emotions long before the official announcement of his sacking by Manchester United on Monday morning. According to body language expert Darren Stanton, the Portuguese tactician exhibited clear signs of feeling "thrown under the bus" by the club hierarchy during his final, explosive press conference.
Alejandro Garnacho has publicly revelled in Ruben Amorim’s sacking by Manchester United. The Portuguese tactician has been relieved of his duties at Old Trafford as a forgettable 14-month tenure is brought to a close. Garnacho was among those to be frozen out of the Red Devils fold by Amorim, leading to him leaving for Chelsea, and the Argentina international appears to have taken great delight in seeing his former boss dismissed.
It was a mic drop moment that came out of the blue and yet seemed to have been brewing for a long time. Ruben Amorim was getting through a potentially difficult press conference after drawing at Leeds with little fuss, giving the assembled journalists little to feed on. But then came the bombshell moment which has led to him ultimately being sacked just 14 months after taking over at Old Trafford.
Declan Rice has launched a passionate defence of teammate Viktor Gyokeres, insisting the Arsenal striker remains "one of the best in the world" despite a dry spell in front of goal. The England midfielder believes critics are overlooking the £64 million signing's immense tactical contribution, sending a stark warning to Premier League rivals that the goals will soon flow once again.
Chelsea interim boss Calum McFarlane admits that Enzo Maresca’s sudden sacking on New Year’s Day caused “shock” in the Blues’ dressing room. Everyone at Stamford Bridge has, however, realigned their focus as it remains important to avoid any distractions. Senior stars in west London, such as captain Reece James, are being credited with “dragging the group together”.
Ruben Amorim’s forgettable reign as Manchester United manager is over, with the Portuguese lasting just 14 months and 63 games in the most demanding of Premier League posts. Having faced uncomfortable questions across a difficult tenure at Old Trafford, the reasons for the 40-year-old’s sudden departure at the start of 2026 have been revealed.
Chelsea have fuelled speculation regarding a potential reintegration for Mykhailo Mudryk after publicly celebrating the winger’s 25th birthday on social media. The public acknowledgement stands in stark contrast to the club’s treatment of Raheem Sterling just weeks earlier, suggesting that the Ukrainian may still have a future at Stamford Bridge under the incoming management.
The Bundesliga may still be on a winter break, but there was plenty of other action across Europe as 2026 got off to a cracking start for some of the continent's elite teams. In England, Arsenal took another big step towards a first Premier League title since 2004 by moving six points clear thanks to a 3-2 win at Bournemouth, while reigning champions Barcelona continue to lead the way in Spain after beating city rivals Espanyol thanks to late goals from Dani Olmo and Robert Lewandowski.
Ruben Amorim has been sacked by Manchester United after just 14 months in charge, with his post-match press conference after Sunday's 1-1 draw with Leeds United proving the final nail in the coffin for the Portuguese. Watch the above clip as the former Red Devils boss clarifies that he's the "manager, not the coach" and that his tenure was "going to finish in 18 months and then everyone is going to move on".
Manchester United have officially parted ways with Ruben Amorim following a chaotic 24 hours at Old Trafford, bringing an abrupt end to the Portuguese coach’s tenure. The decision was confirmed on Monday morning after the manager launched a blistering public attack on the club’s hierarchy, a move that supporters on social media have largely agreed made his position at the helm completely untenable.
Ruben Amorim has been brutally sacked by Manchester United, with the Portuguese seeing a 14-month spell at Old Trafford brought to a close. Questions were asked of his ongoing presence in the Red Devils’ dugout after aiming an explosive outburst in the direction of the club’s board following a draw at Leeds. He has now paid the ultimate price for that rant and a string of underwhelming performances.
The managerial merry-go-round at Stamford Bridge is spinning again, with Liam Rosenior set to arrive in London to finalise his appointment as Chelsea’s new head coach following Enzo Maresca’s exit. However, BlueCo have wasted no time lining up a replacement for the Strasbourg dugout, with former Wolves boss Gary O'Neil emerging as the shock contender to swap the Premier League for Ligue 1.
Under-fire Manchester United boss Ruben Amorim has been brutally reminded that he is “not Pep Guardiola or Jurgen Klopp” and should not, given his record with the Red Devils, be demanding more control at Old Trafford. The Portuguese tactician has delivered an explosive outburst on his present and future, much to the surprise of United legend Wayne Rooney.
Declan Rice has once again proven he is the complete midfield package, netting a stunning brace to rescue Arsenal’s title charge against Bournemouth. The England international’s match-winning display has drawn high praise from across the footballing world, with Ivan Toney jokingly suggesting a positional change for his compatriot while Lionesses star Chloe Kelly labelled the performance simply "too good" on social media.
Ruben Amorim’s future as Manchester United manager is said to be in serious jeopardy, with the Portuguese tactician having seemingly taken a leaf out of Enzo Maresca’s book. On the back of seeing the Italian tactician relieved of his duties after speaking out at Chelsea, under-fire Amorim took the decision to aim an outburst of his own in the direction of club officials at Old Trafford.
It has not been a happy New Year for Manchester City. Pep Guardiola's side ended 2025 on Arsenal's coat tails at the top of the Premier League, but 2026 got off to a frustrating start as they drew at Sunderland to slip four points behind the Gunners. And after a brilliant performance against Chelsea ended with another frustrating draw on Sunday, City are now six points off the pace and two centre-backs down.
Chelsea winger Pedro Neto has been brutally informed that he will “never be Eden Hazard”, with Gary Neville claiming that the Portugal international can be a “bloody frustrating” player to watch. Neto remains a regular for the Premier League heavyweights at Stamford Bridge, with a battling point being taken from their latest fixture away at title-chasing Manchester City.