England's final two games on home soil before the 2026 World Cup were supposed to give Thomas Tuchel's men the perfect send-off for North America. However, instead of being waved off with flowers, the Three Lions left the Wembley pitch to the sound of boos following their 1-0 defeat to Japan on Tuesday, which followed their uninspiring draw against Uruguay four days earlier.
The 12 games of the Thomas Tuchel era have yielded mixed results and performances from England. They remain one of the best sides in international football, even if they haven't played particularly well for extended stretches since the Sir Gareth Southgate era. That said, they are among the favourites to win the 2026 World Cup for several reasons.
Anthony Gordon has caused a stir by claiming that rivals Sunderland are "not a very good team" compared to Newcastle, following the Magpies' disappointing derby defeat at St James' Park. Despite scoring the opener, Gordon was powerless as the Black Cats staged a second-half comeback to secure a 2-1 victory and a league double over Eddie Howe's side.
Legendary former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer has doubled down on his comments regarding Anthony Gordon's absence from the starting XI against Barcelona. After Gordon strongly denied suggestions he was unwilling to play, labelling the claims as "nonsense", Shearer has publicly stood by his initial criticism of the winger.
The drama began when Anthony Gordon was omitted from Newcastle’s starting line-up for their massive Champions League last-16 first leg against Barcelona last Tuesday. Despite the magnitude of the occasion, the winger was only fit enough for a place on the bench, sparking a wave of criticism from high-profile pundits who questioned his commitment and professional conduct on the night, claims to which the Magpies' man has now emphatically responded.
Newcastle manager Eddie Howe has launched a staunch defence of Anthony Gordon after the forward faced sharp criticism from several Premier League legends. Despite being sidelined from the starting XI against Barcelona due to illness, Gordon’s decision to occupy a place on the bench was questioned by high-profile pundits. Howe has now moved to clarify the medical reality of the situation while hailing the England international's elite competitive mentality.
Thomas Tuchel has been urged to snub the likes of Cole Palmer and Phil Foden by picking “world-beater” Marcus Rashford on the left wing for England at the 2026 World Cup. Former Three Lions star Lee Sharpe has told GOAL the Manchester United academy graduate, who is currently on loan at Barcelona, possesses qualities that his rivals for an international starting berth do not have.
Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool, among others, have been told how much it will cost to lure Newcastle's star players away from St. James' Park this summer. A host of key Magpies players have been linked with departures in recent months as Premier League rivals seek to exploit their sub-par season to boost their own respective squads.
Newcastle boss Eddie Howe has issued a prickly response to rumours linking Anthony Gordon with a big money transfer away from St. James' Park. Gordon is reportedly on Liverpool's radar as the Reds weigh up a move for the England international in a bid to rectify their left wing issues. The defending champions aren't the only side reportedly keen on the former Everton man, however.
Arsenal are reportedly readying a summer approach for Newcastle winger Anthony Gordon, with the Gunners confident that they can win a congested transfer race for the England international. Liverpool and Manchester United have been credited with interest in the 25-year-old forward, who is said to come with a £75 million ($101m) price tag.
Anthony Gordon's 2025-26 Champions League campaign is the greatest by any English scorer for an English club in the competition's history. That's a fact. With his four-goal haul for Newcastle in last week's 6-1 hammering of Qarabag, he broke the record for most goals scored by an Englishman for a Premier League side in a single Champions League season, taking his tally to 10 from nine games. Not even Alan Shearer managed such a number in those famous black-and-white stripes.
Newcastle forward Anthony Gordon has branded rumours linking him with moves to Arsenal or Liverpool as a “load of rubbish”. The England international has been making headlines again after registering four goals for the Magpies in their 6-1 Champions League mauling of Qarabag. Transfer talk has resurfaced, but the 24-year-old forward is paying no attention to that gossip.
Anthony Gordon and Kieran Trippier have explained why they argued on the pitch during Newcastle United's 6-1 win at Qarabag in the Champions League on Wednesday. Gordon scored four times as the Magpies all but secured their place in the last 16, but there was a notable incident just before the half-time break between the forward and Trippier.
Anthony Gordon has joined Harry Kane in an exclusive Champions League goal club after scoring four times during Newcastle United's 6-1 win at Qarabag in the Champions League. The Magpies winger struck his quadruple in the first half of the first leg of their knockout round play-off in Baku, effectively sealing Eddie Howe's side's place in the next round with more than a game still to play.
Newcastle all-but secured their place in the last 16 of the Champions League as Anthony Gordon scored four first-half goals in a dominant 6-1 win over Qarabag in Wednesday's play-off round first leg. The Magpies ran riot from minute one in Baku, and might even feel that they should have won by a heavier margin given the chances they created on the night.
Newcastle made light work of PSV on Wednesday as goals from Yoane Wissa, Anthony Gordon and Harvey Barnes wrapped up a 3-0 victory at St. James' Park. The Magpies needed a win to keep their Champions League last-16 hopes alive heading into the final league phase matchday, and duly delivered on a huge night on Tyneside.