Carlos Vela has signed a new deal to stay with LAFC as the Mexican star will be joined by Gareth Bale and Giorgio Chiellini to form one of the most star-studded squads in MLS history.
LAFC confirmed Bale's arrival on Monday after the player himself announced the move to MLS over the weekend.
And Vela, who has been one of the league's top goalscorers since arriving in the U.S., says he plans on staying with the club after previously flirting with the idea of leaving for a new challenge.
What did Vela say?
"It was a matter of time," he told ESPN about his contract ahead of LAFC's 2-0 win over the New York Red Bulls.
He added, "I don't want to leave until I win a title. Hopefully this year."
The move was officially confirmed on Tuesday, with the Mexican star saying: “Los Angeles is a special place for me and my family. This is our home, and I am excited to continue my career here at LAFC.
“My goal is to win the MLS Cup with LAFC, and I will work hard to achieve our goal, and I expect to continue to achieve great things for the Club, my family, our fans and the City of Los Angeles.”
Vela's contract situation
The Mexican star's deal with LAFC was set to expire this summer, but Vela is now set to remain with LAFC as a Designated Player through the 2023 MLS season.
Vela had previously said he was open to leaving the club he has been with since 2018, having hinted at the possibility of going back to Europe.
However, the 2019 MLS MVP will now have his sights set on the long-awaited MLS Cup as LAFC look to have their best-ever squad assembled.
Vela will be joined by Bale and Uruguay international Brian Rodriguez in the attack, while Chiellini will also join to lead what was already one of the league's better defenses.
Chiellini and Bale are eligible to play for the club starting in July, with their potential debuts coming on July 8 against their crosstown rivals, the LA Galaxy.