Man City escape action over pitch invasion

Comments
The Premier League champions will not face any Football Association sanctions after thousands of fans spilled onto the Etihad Stadium pitch

Manchester City will face no action from the Football Association for the pitch invasion that followed Sunday's victory over Swansea City.

Thousands of fans went on the pitch after the final whistle was blown on City's 5-0 victory, their first game at the Etihad Stadium since being crowned champions a week ago.

The FA studied footage on Monday but have decided that the Blues have no case to answer, in part because no disciplinary issues arose and no incidents of trouble were reported.

It had been put to City boss Pep Guardiola that City would face action from the governing body, but he was unmoved at the prospect.

Article continues below

"No problem," he said. The Catalan then argued that supporters should be allowed to celebrate: "Football is an emotional game. I understand you have to be careful, but when they feel they want to share that they are happy, it is better they stay where they should stay, but I'm not going to tell them don't do that.

"If they are happy I like to be close with the team. They show how happy they are and that is the most beautiful thing we can live like professionals a manager and football players. We felt that today. The fans here were so happy.

"Just arriving on the bus [before the game] the way people look at us and celebrate in the stadium and jump. I'm sorry that's good. It's time to celebrate it. I'm not going to tell anybody don't enjoy it. I'm not going to tell them."

Next article:
'Sane plays like he's standing in a village square' - Ziege hits out at Man City star
Next article:
Slovenia sack Kavcic as head coach
Next article:
ISL 2018-19: Substitutions worked for ATK, says Steve Coppell
Next article:
Romagnoli aims to make Gattuso proud in Milan derby
Next article:
The stats that suggest Lindelof and Bailly should be Man Utd’s centre back pairing
Close