Pep Guardiola had stuck with the same team for three games in a row at the end of September and start of October, and had only made minor tweaks in recent weeks.
But in Napoli on Wednesday he left key men David Silva and Kyle Walker on the bench and still saw his side record an impressive victory.
And with a number of players already unavailable through injury, particularly in defence, City are showing a greater strength in depth than perhaps they were given credit for.
MAN CITY INJURIES
Benjamin Mendy and Vincent Kompany will miss out with their injuries, although Mendy will arrive back in Manchester on Saturday to step up his recovery from an ACL tear.
Kompany is close to a return to training but it some way off full fitness.
MAN CITY SUSPENSIONS
Neither Manchester City nor Arsenal have any suspensions.
MAN CITY POTENTIAL STARTING LINE-UP
Walker and David Silva could come back into the line-up after being rest in Napoli on Wednesday.
The rest of the City defence picks itself at the moment, and there is little chance of rotation given a lack of viable replacements. Kevin De Bruyne could be in need of a rest but is likely to play.
Sergio Aguero broke the club's all-time scoring record in midweek but could be rotated out for Gabriel Jesus, with Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling retaining their places.
ARSENAL TEAM NEWS
Arsenal have a number of injuries to contend with. Sead Kolasinac is doubtful with a hip injury, while centre-back Shkodran Mustafi, forward Danny Welbeck, playmaker Santi Cazorla and defender Calum Chambers are all out.
Back-up goalkeeper David Ospina and out-of-favour forward Lucas Perez will play no part, either.
OPTA MATCH FACTS
- Manchester City have only won one of their last nine matches against Arsenal in all competitions (D4 L4), with that victory coming in this exact fixture last season.
- Arsenal’s 2-0 victory at the Etihad in January 2015 remains the Gunners’ only away Premier League victory against the ‘big six’ since the start of the 2014/15 season (D7 L9)
- Manchester City have won all nine of their Premier League games in which they’ve led this season, while Arsenal have won the most games (3) and points (9) from losing positions so far.
- City have scored 20 goals in their last four home Premier League games this season – that’s more than 18 of the other 19 clubs in the division have netted in total in their opening 10 games of 2017-18.
- Coming into this matchday, Leroy Sane has been involved in more goals than any other Premier League player this season (6 goals, 5 assists). The German scored both home and away against the Gunners in the Premier League last season.
TV COVERAGE & KICK-OFF TIME
Kick off is 14:15 GMT with the game to be shown live on Sky Sports Main Event, Sky Sports Premier League and streamed through Sky Sports apps.