Are you 24 or older?

Help us verify your age by providing an honest response. This site contains gambling advertising for 24+.

Age-restricted content

You’re not old enough to view betting content. You’ll be redirected to the homepage.

alt
Hakan Calhanoglu InterGetty Images

Galatasaray coach reveals late Hakan Calhanoglu transfer bid failed despite Inter star accepting pay cut

  • Galatasaray failed in late bid to sign Calhanoglu
  • Inter demanded €40-45m despite player accepting pay cut
  • Midfielder stays at San Siro and remains key for Chivu’s team
Follow GOAL on WhatsApp! 🟢📱
  • WHAT HAPPENED?

    Galatasaray coach Buruk has confirmed the club made a final attempt to sign Calhanoglu last week, only for Inter to reject the approach, according to a report from Gazzetta. The Turkish giants were told they would have to pay up to €45 million (£39/$54m) to land the midfielder, a figure they could not meet. Buruk revealed that Calhanoglu, a boyhood Galatasaray fan, was willing to accept a salary reduction to facilitate the transfer.

  • Advertisement
  • Hakan Calhanoglu InterGetty Images

    THE BIGGER PICTURE

    The failed bid brings an end to a summer of uncertainty surrounding the Turkish international's future at San Siro. Calhanoglu was persistently linked with a move, with both Galatasaray and rivals Fenerbahce showing interest, but a lack of formal offers had previously frustrated the Inter hierarchy. The speculation followed a difficult period for the 31-year-old, which included a public disagreement with club captain Lautaro Martinez and an injury relapse during the Club World Cup. Despite the tensions, the midfielder recently declared his desire to remain with the Serie A club.

  • WHAT OKAN BURUK SAID

    Buruk spoke about the negotiations to land the playmaker, saying: "Calhanoglu? We tried last week too, but Inter..."

    "He would have sacrificed his salary for us, but if they had sold him to us, we would have had to spend 40-45 million. A difficult deal.

    "We really wanted him. He's a huge Galatasaray fan. We made another attempt last week, but Inter didn't want to sell him. They said they'd only do it if we offered a higher price than normal. We made an attempt. He and Gundogan would have sacrificed their salaries, but if Inter had sold him, we would have had to spend €40-€45 million. His move was very difficult for us. Hakan also made sacrifices, but the deal didn't go through because Inter didn't want to sell him."

  • ENJOYED THIS STORY?

    Add GOAL.com as a preferred source on Google to see more of our reporting

    Add as preferred source on Google
  • Hakan Calhanoglu Inter 2024-2025Getty Images

    WHAT NEXT FOR CALHANOGLU & INTER?

    With the transfer window now closed, Calhanoglu will remain an Inter player and focus on the Serie A season. The midfielder is expected to be a key figure for the Nerazzurri as they look to challenge for the title. Inter's next match is a crucial fixture away to rivals Juventus on Saturday, 13 September.