As the 25-year-old made his way from the field in tears during a Champions League final clash with Real Madrid, it appeared as though his World Cup ambitions had been crushed.
Salah has admitted as much, with a now infamous tussle with Blancos skipper Sergio Ramos having left him sweating on a role at Egypt’s first outing on a global stage in 28 years.
He has, however, made impressive progress in his recovery and – despite initial claims suggesting that he would be sidelined for around three weeks – believes he will be in contention to face Uruguay on June 15.
Speaking to Egyptian president Abdel Fattah el-Sisi before jetting off to Russia, Salah said: "I promise you I will do my best to be ready for the World Cup and to achieve the Egyptian dream.
"I feel much better now and I'll be ready to play against Uruguay. I will never give up on our dream, I promise to do my best for our people."
He did, however, admit that his involvement will depend on how he feels closer to the day.
“Now I'm better,” said Salah.
“I hope to play the first game against Uruguay, but that will depend on how I feel when it [the match] approaches.”
Those comments were made while offering a response to suggestions from Madrid defender Ramos that Salah could have played on in the Champions League final with a painkilling injection.
That claim has been laughed off, with a man who netted 44 times for Liverpool in the 2017-18 campaign having had to work hard to shake off an untimely ailment in time for World Cup duty.