Ajax have confirmed that they have accidentally left club-record signing Sebastien Haller out of their Europa League squad.
Haller was brought in from West Ham last month, with the striker joining the Eredivisie giants in a €22.5 million (£20m/$28m) transfer from the Premier League outfit.
The Ivory Coast international has started well for Ajax, scoring two goals and adding four assists in six league appearances thus far, but the 26-year-old is now unable to represent his new side in European competition this season, with the club confirming the mistake in a statement on their website.
It reads: "UEFA has informed Ajax that winter purchase Sebastien Haller will definitely not be available in the UEFA Europa League for the rest of the 2020/2021 season.
"Due to an administrative error at Ajax, the striker was not registered on the list of players for the Europa League, which had to be submitted no later than Tuesday, February 2.
"The player who came to Ajax from West Ham United on January 8 can be used in Eredivisie and cup matches.
"Despite attempts to make Haller eligible to play, the club received a final message from UEFA on Thursday evening that Haller will not be added after all. Oussama Idrissi, the other attacker who came to Ajax in the last transfer window, can be used in the Europa League."
Ajax spokesman Miel Brinkhuis admitted earlier this week that the club had made an error in not adding Haller to their Europa League squad.
“He is indeed not on the list, we are trying to find out what went wrong," he said. "We have contacted the KNVB and UEFA."
Ajax are set to take on Lille later this month in the Europa League round of 32, with the first leg set for February 18 in France.
Haller will at least be able to continue representing Ajax in the Eredivisie, where the club have opened up a seven-point lead.
The Dutch giants also announced on Wednesday that highly rated teenage striker Brian Brobbey will leave the club when his contract runs out at the end of the season.
"We think it is too bad [that he's leaving] and have done everything to keep him at Ajax longer," director of football Marc Overmars told Ajax's official website. "He has chosen to play football elsewhere after the summer. It's difficult for me to accept, but it's his decision.
"Brian is still under contract with us for a few months, if we need him the trainers will call on him."
The 19-year-old, who has been compared to Romelu Lukaku and linked with a move to Real Madrid , has scored twice in six senior appearances for Ajax this season after making his debut in October 2020. Brobbey has also tallied 16 goals in 29 total games for the Ajax reserve side.