Brasil Global Tour’s Raisa Simplicio was at CBF headquarters to canvas opinion from some of the nation’s top journalists as Tite named his new squad
On Thursday Brazil coach Tite at down at Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) headquarters in Rio de Janeiro to name his home-based squad for next week’s friendly with Colombia.
The match has been organised to raise funds in support of the families of those who lost their lives in the tragic Chapecoense air disaster in November.
Tite reiterated the criteria used to make his selections, insisting he and his coaching staff had been in communication with local clubs to ensure all those picked are fit enough to play at least 45 minutes and that the match will have no any adverse effect on their preseason preparations.
He selected an initial list of 40 players, before whittling it down after discussions with medical departments from across the country.
The age-range of the group spans from 20-year-old Flamengo left-back Jorge to veteran Atletico Mineiro striker Robinho, who will be 33 on the day of match.
Brasil Global Tour’s Raisa Simplicio was in attendance and canvassed opinion from some of the nation’s top journalists, with Fox Sports’ Paulo Vinicius Coelho describing the upcoming match as a chance for a number of players to join the ‘race’ for World Cup 2018.
"I was talking to [technical director] Edu Gaspar about players who have short-term and long-term futures with Brazil,” he said.
“They will look at some players who can have an immediate impact, and others who have the capability to serve the national team for many years, who can play a part in Brazil’s future, like Jorge and Gustavo Scarpa.”
For Tino Marcos, of TV Globo, youth international Jorge’s call-up was overdue.
"He has been pushing for a place, it's not surprising that he has been called in.
“He has been improving, he has been through all the age groups, and so he is used to wearing Brazil shirt and I think he will do very well. He is someone who can plant a seed in the thoughts of those selecting the senior squad. "
Another big talking point was the recalls of former Santos duo Robinho and Diego, and Coelho believes they will do everything they can to show the coach that they should remain at his disposal.
"I do not think Robinho will remain in the squad, but I think he will try to take his chance."
“Diego has a good track record in the national team. But he's never been able to cement his place. He never wore a Brazil shirt and made a statement that says ‘this is mine’, so maybe he has a chance to do that now he's doing so well and is happy with Flamengo. "
The match at Nilton Santos Stadium in Rio de Janeiro on January 25 will be Tite’s first friendly since his June 2016 appointment.
To date he has led Brazil to six straight victories in World Cup qualifying.