Egypt 4-0 Algeria: The Pharaohs Subdue Bitter Rivals To Reach Final

The Pharaohs chase the Foxes from the desert...

Egypt poured forward to start the match expecting to find an early goal but Algeria's back line stood tall and proud, breaking the pacy network of passes the Pharaohs were stringing together.

Nadir Bougherra's corner in the 12th minute caused a tense moment but Egypt’s quick-thinking defence cleared out the danger.

The Pharaohs continued to press in the 20th minute kicking balls backward with the intention of pulling the Algerians out from their area. But the Fennecs held their ground, carrying out their own attempts with dangerous counterattacks.

An Algeria free-kick from 32 yards caused goalmouth mayhem in Egypt’s box area, but El-Hadary blocked did well to keep the ball out.

A goal nearly surfaced for the labouring Egyptians in the 25th minute when Al-Ahly’s veteran midfielder Emad Moteab fired a shot at Fawzi Chaouchi, but the Algerian ‘keeper parried the bullet out for a corner.

Another goalmouth scramble couldn’t yield a goal for Algeria, with El-Hadary, once again, deflecting the shot past the post.

A long cross from Sayed Moawad could have caused havoc for Algeria if Moteab had reached it, but the ball rolled safely to the left side of Chaouchi’s post.

A penalty kick was awarded to Egypt in the 40th minute, when Moteab was hacked down by Rafik Halliche, who got a red card following a previous yellow. He left the pitch reducing his fighting partners to 10-men.

Ahli Dubai’s Hosny Rabo softly slipped the ball to Chaouchi’s right and soon shook the back net. It was 1-0 for Egypt.

Algeria’s ‘keeper got a yellow for dissent after conceding the goal.

Algeria’s reaction couldn’t hinder Egypt’s solid and stylish ball control during the two minutes of added time. Both teams went into the interval with Egypt smiling cautiously.

The second half began with Algeria pushing forward and Egypt defending nicely. A counter by Moteab could have increased the lead but he shot wide.

A free-kick taken by Hassan Yebda was deflected for a corner which was again punched away by El-Hadary. The pressure was on the Pharaohs but they kept their nerve.

Zidan wasted a great opportunity in a goalmouth scramble, but made up for his miss in the 63rd minute, when his left shot left Chaouchi with no chance. It was 2-0 for Egypt.

Another red card was shown to Algeria when Belhadji tackled an Egyptian midfielder. He was sent off, deflating his side now to only nine fighters.

Egypt’s new entrant Zamalek’s Abdel Shafy was served by Zidan on the left flank. His shot found the back net in the 88th minute. It was 3-0 for Egypt.

Algeria’s goalkeeper received their side’s third red card when he jacked the leg of Egypt’s Mohamed Nagy as he ran into him with the ball. Chezzal had to leave the match in order for new 'keeper Mohamed Zemmamouche to enter.

Algeria were demoralised by this development and Egypt knew already knew that they were on their way to the finals.

Gedo rounded off the beautiful evening for Egypt with the fourth goal, after beating a defender and slipping the ball under Zemmamouche.