The Indian football team got a major shot in the arm when they won 1-0 against Nepal in their third match of the SAFF Championship 2021. The Blue Tigers find themselves in the third position in the table with five points from three games.
Maldives picked up a win against Sri Lanka on Sunday afternoon and they have moved to the top of the table. Meanwhile, Nepal and Bangladesh are in the second and fourth spots respectively. Let us have a look at the table for further clarity.
2021 SAFF Championship table:
What are the rules that determine the standings? AIFF Media
- Most number of points obtained in the league matches.
However, if two or more teams are equal on points, then their place shall be determined as follows:
2. Which team has got more points in the head-to-head clashes.
3. Which team has a better goal difference in the head-to-head clashes.
4. Which team has scored more goals in the head-to-head clashes.
5. The overall goal difference.
6. The greater number of goals scored in league matches.
7. Kicks from the penalty spot if only two teams are involved and they are both on the field of play.
8. Drawing of lots.
How can India qualify for the finals?
Scenario1: India wins their next match - After beating Nepal, if India defeat Maldives as well, they will book a spot in the finals. They will have eight points to show for their efforts which will be enough to finish second. If Nepal draws against Bangladesh, then India will finish on top.
Scenario 2: India draws against Maldives - In this scenario, India will finish on six points from four matches. It will still be impossible for India to qualify, as even if Bangladesh and Nepal share points, the Gorkhalis will move to seven. In that case, Maldives and Nepal qualify with both teams tied on seven points.
Whereas, if Nepal lose, Bangladesh will go to seven points and then qualify. But if Nepal wins, then they will move to the top of the table with nine points. So India must win the match against Maldives.