Manchester United January transfer news LIVE: Mourinho rules out Ronaldo return

Comments()
Goal brings you all the latest news, rumours and deals related to the Red Devils as the January transfer window heats up

Mourinho rules out return for Ronaldo


Jose Mourinho has poured "water on the fire" by refusing to entertain the idea that Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo could be brought back to Manchester United.

It had been suggested that the door could be opened to an emotional reunion, with the Portuguese forward now 32 years of age and caught up in the struggles currently being endured by Real.

Mourinho, though, has said on the matter: "[I'll pour] water on the fire: Cristiano is the type of player everyone wants but only one can have. That is Real Madrid, that's my feeling."


Mourinho signs new Man United deal


Jose Mourinho Manchester United

Jose Mourinho has signed a new contract with Manchester United, the club announced on Thursday.

The manager has extended his stay until at least 2020, with an option in place to remain a further year beyond that date.

Read the full story on Goal.

Read the full story on Goal.


Madrid make huge offer for De Gea


David de Gea Manchester United

Real Madrid are redoubling their efforts to sign David de Gea with an offer of two players and a cash payment, claims  Don Balon .

The goalkeeper has long been a target at the Bernabeu, but Manchester United are reluctant to sell one of their key players. 

A bid that includes a juicy fee as well as Keylor Navas and Mateo Kovacic, however, might just turn heads at Old Trafford.


Man Utd reject Darmian loan approach


Matteo Darmian Manchester United

Manchester United have knocked back a loan approach from Roma for versatile defender Matteo Darmian, reports Gazzetta dello Sport .

The Red Devils are open to parting with the Italian during the winter window, but are looking to do a permanent deal.

If no agreement is reached, then the transfer saga could rumble on into the summer - with Juventus among those keeping a close eye on the situation.


De Bruyne: City fine without Alexis


Kevin De Bruyne Alexis Sanchez Manchester City Arsenal

Alexis Sanchez may have turned down Manchester City for neighbours Manchester United but Kevin De Bruyne and the runaway Premier League leaders are unfazed.

Sanchez had been tipped to join Pep Guardiola at City before the Chile international forward opted to leave Arsenal for United in a blockbuster deal.

Belgian midfielder De Bruyne – who signed a new contract through to 2023 – insisted City are fine without the former Barcelona star.

Read his take on the Alexis move here!


Lucas believes Spurs could be right move


Lucas Moura Paris Saint-Germain PSG

Paris Saint-Germain attacker Lucas Moura believes a transfer to Tottenham could be the right move for him, according to Sky Sports News.

The 25-year-old has been told he can leave the Ligue 1 club, with PSG ready to sell for a fee in the region of £23 million.

Lucas has been linked with Arsenal and Manchester United, among several other European clubs. 


Wenger: Alexis move brought 'clarity'


Arsene Wenger Arsenal

Arsene Wenger believes Arsenal now have "clarity" and can regain focus after Alexis Sanchez's switch to Manchester United.

Sanchez's future had long been a hot topic, with the Chilean refusing to sign a new contract and attracting interest from both United and Manchester City .

You can read Wenger's full comments right here on Goal !


Alex Sandro is Man Utd's No.1 left-back target


Alex Sandro Juventus

Alex Sandro is Manchester United’s primary target, if Jose Mourinho decides to sign a new left-back in the summer, reports the Manchester Evening News .

Mourinho has abandoned plans to bring in a left-back in January, having also been linked with the likes of Tottenham’s Danny Rose and Celtic’s Kieran Tierney.

However, if Mourinho decides to sell Luke Shaw at the end of the season, then he wants Alex Sandro from Juventus.

Chelsea have previously tried to sign Alex Sandro, but have found Juventus to be reluctant sellers amid reports the Italian champions want in excess of €60 million for the Brazilian.


Man Utd join Kovacic race


Mateo Kovacic Real Madrid 2017

Manchester United are the latest club to show an interest in Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic, according to  CalcioMercato .

The Croatia international is surplus to requirements at Santiago Bernabeu after a series of injuries saw him fall down the pecking order.

And United are keen to battle Kovacic's former club, Inter, for his signature in January.


Napoli line up Grimaldo


Alejandro 'Alex' Grimaldo, Benfica

Napoli are hoping to agree a deal to sign Benfica full-back Alejandro Grimaldo in the summer as a potential replacement for Faouzi Ghoulam, reports La Repubblica .

Ghoulam only signed a new contract with Napoli in December, but the Serie A club fear his €60 million release clause will not deter the likes of Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain from making a bid.

As a precautionary measure, Napoli have lined up Grimaldo, who has also been linked with United, as a replacement and are ready to offer €30m for the 22-year-old Spaniard.


Spurs unlikely to sign Lucas Moura


Lucas Moura PSG

Tottenham are not expecting to sign Paris Saint-Germain winger Lucas Moura during the January transfer window, according to ESPN .

Lucas Moura is eager to leave PSG this winter and has been told to find a new club by coach Unai Emery , with Real Betis the latest to show an interest.

Spurs are also keen on the Brazilian, but are not planning a January move for a player who has also been targeted by Arsenal and Manchester United.

Close