KCCA FC 1-2 URA FC: Kasasiro Boys suffer second defeat of the season

KCCA FC vs URA FC in Uganda.
The former champions have now lost two matches in a row after succumbing to the power of the Taxmen at home

Kampala City Council Authority (KCCA FC) suffered their second defeat of the season after going down 2-1 to Uganda Revenue Authority (URA FC) at Lugogo Stadium in Kampala on Friday.

The Kasasiro Boys went into the match against the Taxmen seeking to bounce back to winning ways having lost to SC Villa 2-1 in their last league outing, but they could not as URA scored two first-half goals to pile the pressure on coach Mike Mutebi.

KCCA had taken a deserved lead in the 26th minute through Brian Aheebwa before URA drew level courtesy of Benjamin Nyakoojo in the 31st minute.

However, four minutes later, URA should have made it 2-1 but Ivan Sserubiri missed from the penalty spot after his taken strike hissed over the bar.

But they did not have to wait long as they took the lead in the 36th minute after Shafik Kagimu met a cross from Joackiam Ojera to beat keeper Charles Luwango and make it 2-1, with the scoreline remaining the same at the half-time-break.

Ahead of the match, Mutebi had warned his charges to expect a tough challenge from URA, insisting they are a very difficult side to break down.

And despite welcoming to the squad youngsters Bright Anukani, Sadat Anaku, and Steven Sserwadda, KCCA never looked threatening from the onset and it was URA who dictated the pace despite playing away from home.

Kagimu should have scored the opener for the Taxmen, who are coached by Sam Ssimbwa, but after receiving a pass from Steven Mukwala, he fumbled with the ball to allow keeper Luwango take it away.

Mukwala was then presented with a great chance to break the deadlock but he unleashed a feeble shot which was easy for keeper Luwango to handle.

However, KCCA broke the deadlock after Aheebwa finished off a one-two move between Kigozi and Ssenyonjo, but it was short-lived as URA levelled matters through Nyakoojo, who headed home from a free-kick.

Article continues below

Five minutes later, Kagimu scored what turned out to be the winner, after meeting a pass from Ojera to make it 2-1.

KCCA, who were the champions two seasons ago before Vipers SC wrestled the title from them, looked a jaded side in the second half as they could not string passes together, with the URA defence, marshalled by Brian Majwega, Ashraf Mandela, and Arafat Galiwango, doing a great job at the back.

Meanwhile, Wakiso Giants managed a 2-2 draw against Bright Stars.