Paris Saint-Germain have announced that they have entered into talks with coach Antoine Kombouare to resolve his future at the club.
A source close to the 48-year-old allegedly told AFP on Thursday that Kombouare had been informed after the team’s victory over Saint-Etienne the night before that his services were no longer required.
However, the club has now released a statement claiming that Kombouare’s position as coach is still being discussed.
“PSG and coach Antoine Kombouare would like to clarify that they have engaged in serene talks which will soon be resolved and should allow everyone to protect their interests,” the statement on the Parisians’ official website read.
Wednesday night’s victory over Saint-Etienne saw PSG crowned 'winter champions' but Kombouare’s future has been the subject of much debate in recent months, with the club's Qatari owners said to have been unhappy with the return on their summer spending spree and, in particular, their failure to qualify for the knockout stages of the Europa League.
A number of high-profile coaches have been linked with the role, including Carlo Ancelotti and Frank Rijkaard, while only last month Al Jazeera, who have close ties with the club, reported that Rafael Benitez had agreed to take over.
Meanwhile, L’Equipe has reported that 52-year-old Ancelotti, who has been out of the game since being sacked by Chelsea at the end of last season, will travel to the French capital next week to sign a two-and-a-half-year contract with the Ligue 1 leaders which will allegedly be worth €450,000 per month to the Italian.