Harambee Stars coach Twahir Muhiddin has quit as coach of the national team following Kenya's 1-0 loss to Guinea Bissau in the 2012 AFCON qualifiers a fortnight ago.
Muhiddn told the Standard that he has asked Football Kenya to allow him to step down and promote his assistant Zedekiah Otieno 'Zico'.
"I offered to resign this week because I wanted to give FKL an opportunity to carry out a post-mortem of what happened in Guinea Bissau. We agreed that they would talk to everyone involved in the campaign including the players to find out what exactly went wrong."
"I am determined that the truth be known regarding the results and not just blame me for the loss," he added.
Muhiddin has come under intense pressure following the 1-0 defeat to Guinea Bissau in the 2012 African Nations Cup qualifying match.
He said he was also at a loss over the defeat to Bissau, considering that the same team had played well against Tanzania and Ethiopia in build-up matches last month.
"We have to look at the whole situation and ask ourselves what may have happened before, during and after the match contributing to the poor show," he said.
FKL officials were stuck in a tense meeting yesterday afternoon to deliberate on who should take over from Muhiddin. Former coach Francis Kimanzi seems poised to take over from Muhiddin although he is unlikely to take the position immediately since he is currently in Holland for a one-year coaching course.
Muhiddin took over from German Antoine Hey, who left the squad last year following poor results by the team in the World Cup/Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
Kenya face Uganda Cranes on October 9 in their second qualifying match, which they must win to remain in contention for a place in the African Cup of Nations finals in 2012.