Prince Ali willing to run for Fifa president again

The Jordanian lost out to the Swiss in last week's election but the 79-year-old's resignation on Tuesday has tempted him to run again

Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein has confirmed that he is willing to once again stand for Fifa president - but only if he has the adequate support to radically reform the organisation.

The Jordanian was the only man to challenge Sepp Blatter at last Friday's re-election and withdrew his candidacy after being comprehensively beaten during the first round of voting (73-133).

However, with Blatter having stepped down on Tuesday as the corruption scandal engulfing Fifa intensified, Prince Ali is now willing to put his name forward again at the Extraordinary Congress that will soon be arranged to find a new president.

"I'm a servant of football," he told CNN. "I love the sport and always have. So, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

"This [Blatter's resignation] was surprise news to me, as it was to everyone else.

"But, having said that, for sure, I will do my best to support national associations across the world to make a brighter future for football.

"That's the most important thing. I have to talk to national associations and see how they feel about this, as it's very early.

"But if they want me to do it, I will do it.

"I have to be careful about this. I don't want to see Fifa going down the wrong path again."

Dutch Football Association (KNVB) president Michael van Praag, who pulled out of the election race to throw his support behind Prince Ali, also intimated that he could re-enter the running.

"Blatter quitting is great news," he told De Telegraaf. "This weekend I will visit the Excecutive Committee in Berlin. There, I will talk with a few people that were involved in this case.

"After that, I will think about what decision I will take after the resignation of Blatter."

Fifa was rocked by the arrest of several officials last week as part of an FBI-led investigation into corruption while there was further controversy on Tuesday when it emerged that secretary general Jerome Valcke knew about an alleged bribe paid into an account owned by former vice-president Jack Warner for supporting South Africa's bid to host the 2010 World Cup.

Blatter, who has not been implicated in the scandal, subsequently decided to bring an end to his 17-year tenure, claiming that he felt he no longer had the full support of world football.

Get Adobe Flash player