Portsmouth defender Younes Kaboul has told liondsdelastlas.net that Moroccan reports indicating that he had finally accepted the offer to wear the Atlas Lions jersey were false and that his position, which is that he wants to focus on his club commitments, has not changed since he last spoke about his situation vis a vis the North African country.
“It’s true that there was contact during the week. On
Wednesday I spoke with them [Moroccan football federation officials]. For the moment
my position hasn’t changed. I prefer to concentrate on my performances with my
club. We need to accumulate points. For the Moroccan national team, we’ll see
later,” he said.
The news comes a few days after Hassan Moumen called up a 24-man team that will face Gabon in Libreville this weekend without including
Kaboul, even though he had previously said that there was a good chance he’d at
least invite the central defender to the training camp leading up to the
While Kaboul certainly hasn’t shut the door for good on a possibility
of joining Morocco, some supporters are openly wondering
whether the French-born player would be singing the same tune if the Atlas
Lions had better chances of reaching the 2010 World Cup.
Rami Ayari, Goal.com