Spanish sports daily AS reported last Friday that the Eredivisie champions had contacted the 31-year-old Brazilian, who’s been a free agent after his Milan contract expired at the end of last month.
Without a shred of a doubt one of the best strikers to ever grace the Beautiful Game, Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima has had more than a fair share of serious injuries – and the latest one suffered on February 13 against Livorno has seriously threatened of bringing a great career to a bitter end.
The World Cup and European Super Cup holders chose to wait before offering him a new deal, but O Fenômeno signing for them again is now all but a long shot, as Flamengo and PSV Eindhoven are leading the race to snatch him.
“Perhaps something beautiful will happen this summer,” Stevens told today’s edition of Voetbal International weekly, as he’s confident the former Cruzeiro, Barcelona, Internazionale and Real Madrid star can reboot his career in his familiar Eindhoven surroundings.
“Why not? He’s played here and experienced good times. We’ve made contact with people close to him. We haven’t had a response yet, but there’s still time.”
The Dutch giants were the club that brought Ronaldo over to Europe for a fee equivalent to 5.475 million euros in the summer of 1994. And although he was just 17 at the time, he duly delivered 55 goals in 57 appearances (!), even though PSV Eindhoven only won a Beker (picture) before he left, two years later.
Ronaldo is certain he can leave this knee cruciate ligament injury behind him and play again, which could indeed happen come November. “I can imagine that he doesn’t want to continue in Southern Europe, with all the commotion and attention there. At PSV Eindhoven he can recover in peace, but it’s possible that we can eventually make use of him in another role as well,” Stevens added.
Although he didn’t explain himself, the Dutch champions may have to overcome another obstacle first, as Flamengo chairman Márcio Braga told the Globo network last Saturday that the Rio de Janeiro champions have reached an initial agreement with Ronaldo’s agent, Alexandre Martins.
Panos Bletsos, Goal.com