Bundesliga Saturday Round-Up: Schalke Beat Nurnberg, Werder Crash To Frankfurt

There were opening day wins for Schalke, Borussia Dortmund and Hertha but Werder Bremen went down to a home defeat against Frankfurt…
Borussia Dortmund 1-0 Koeln
FC Nurnberg 1-2 Schalke
Werder Bremen 2-3 Eintracht Frankfurt
Hertha Berlin 1-0 Hannover
Mainz 2-2 Bayer Leverkusen    

Borussia Dortmund 1-0 Koeln  

An 80,000 crowd at the Signal-Iduna Park witnessed an opening day win for Borussia Dortmund, who had to be content with a single goal with Koeln keeper Faryd Mondragon in fine form.    

Despite dominating the match, Dortmund found it hard to find a way past the Koeln defence and had to wait until the 75th minute for the opening goal, which arrived via an own-goal. A free-kick whipped in from the left by Tamas Hajnal was headed on by Tinga but then inadvertently turned into his own net by Marvin Matip.  

Mohamad Zidan could have wrapped things up late on, but he let Koeln off the hook and they had to settle for a 1-0 win. 

    Aerial Duel: Nelson Valdez beats Petit

FC Nurnberg 1-2 Schalke  

Felix Magath’s reign as Schalke trainer got off to the ideal start with a 2-0 win over newly promoted Nurnberg. Kevin Kuranyi scored the first goal of the game after 36 minutes when he converted his side’s first chance of the game. A long-ball was flicked to Jefferson Farfan, whose pass inside was powered home into the bottom right-hand corner by the ex-German international.  

Kuranyi then doubled his tally five minutes into the second-half. Substitute Levan Kenia played the ball to the Koenigsblauen forward and he scored from the edge of the area.    

The home side gave themselves hope two minutes from time when Marek Mintal fired home, after Manuel Neuer had saved an effort from Angelos Charisteas. They were, however, unable to find the equaliser and Schalke took the three points. 

Two-goal Schalke hero Kevin Kuranyi      

Werder Bremen 2-3 Eintracht Frankfurt  

Werder had been looking for a positive start to the season, following the disappointment of last year, but Thomas Schaaf’s side found themselves on the wrong end of a 3-2 scoreline.    

The home side didn’t make the best of starts to the match going 1-0 down after just six minutes. Selim Teber went down the right and crossed to Greek striker Ioannis Amanatidis, who beat Per Mertesacker to the ball before placing a right-foot shot into the back of the net.    

Seven minutes later, though, and Werder were level via the penalty spot. Mesut Oezil won the spot-kick and then duly scored with a left-foot shot. 

However, Frankfurt got themselves back in front before half-time when Amanatidis scored his second of the afternoon. Alex Meier turned on a Patrick Ochs cross and Amanatidis was unmarked and slotted home from six metres out.    

The first-half scoring wasn’t done there though, and Bremen made it 2-2 a minute before the break. Torsten Frings sent in a cross from the right which sailed over keeper Nikolov and hit Ochs. Boubacar Sanogo was the quickest to react and scored from close-range.    

Amanatidis was forced off at half-time with an injury, but it was his replacement Martin Fenin, who scored the next goal in the game. Selim Teber flicked on a corner and the Czech striker converted from the closest of distances to put Frankfurt back in front with what proved to be the winning goal.   

Mesut Oezil evades Patrick Ochs 

Hertha Berlin 1-0 Hannover  

Hertha Berlin left it late to score the only goal of the game at the Olympiastadion, but they did score and took all three points as a result against the team with the worst away record in the Bundesliga last season.  

Domovchiyski played a one-two with Cicero on the left before crossing into the centre. Constant Djakpa lost the duel with Gojko Kacar and the Serbian midfielder scored with a right-foot shot with 82 minutes on the clock.  

Gojko Kacar in action against Hannover

Mainz 2-2 Bayer Leverkusen  

Newly promoted Mainz began the season with a point, after holding Bayer Leverkusen to a 2-2 draw at home.    

Leverkusen really didn’t start the game well and were punished for their laxness after just five minutes when Tim Hoogland opened the scoring. Austrian summer signing Andreas Ivanschitz overlapped on the left before putting in a precise cross. Defender Hoogland beat Michael Kadlec in the air to head past Rene Adler.    

The Werkself were given a chance to level the match on 17 minutes when the referee gave them a penalty, but keeper Heinz Muller guessed the right way and saved Tranquillo Barnetta’s spot-kick.     

Leverkusen kept attacking, though, and were rewarded for their efforts with two goals before half-time. On 42 minutes Eren Derdiyok hammered in a Barnetta cross and then a minute later his strike partner Stefan Kiessling scored with a right-foot shot after being played through superbly by Barnetta.    

Mainz though equalised nine minutes from time via a direct free-kick from Daniel Gunkel. From 22 meters out the midfielder slammed an unstoppable shot past Rene Adler and into the top right-hand corner. 

Tranquillo Barnetta battles with Andreas Ivanschitz

Mathew Burt, Goal.com