Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho rejects Portugal link

The 'Special One' said he is not in the running for a job with the Euro 2004 runners-up and added there are no injuries ahead of Saturday's game against Betis
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has poured cold water on rumours linking him with the Portugal national team.

A report in Mundo Deportivo earlier in the week claimed the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) was considering naming Mourinho as a temporary coach for the Euro 2012 play-off tie against Bosnia & Herzegovina.

Portugal's interest in Mourinho is not new, as the 48-year-old was under consideration in 2010 for two Euro 2012 qualifiers, but Real Madrid rejected the possibility.

However, the former Inter boss claims there has not been an approach from his country's national team this time around.

"That is one big lie," he told reporters at a press conference. "It does not make sense. It is clear to me, to the federation and to Madrid that it is impossible.

"No-one has thought about it. There has not been any contact and this story should be over already."

Mourinho went on to say that there were no fitness worries in the squad ahead of the Liga clash against Betis on Saturday.

"We had some minor problems which forced us to make some changes in previous matches, but right now the 21 players in the squad are fine and none are in doubt," the Portuguese coach added.

"It is true some of them have just recovered from injuries and others, like Karim Benzema, have only had one day's training.

"Others have returned from their respective national teams but, except for Raul Albiol, those international matches were not hard on Madrid, as far as injuries are concerned."

Madrid are third in La Liga, trailing Barcelona and Levante by one point.