Chelsea Set To Sign Sao Paulo Wonderkid Lucas Piazon - Report

Reports from Brazil suggest that teenage star Lucas Piazon will leave Sao Paulo for England at the end of 2011, on turning 18...
Reports from Brazilian media suggest that Chelsea are ready to complete a big-money transfer for Sao Paulo starlet Lucas Piazon, before the 17 year old has played a senior game in his home country.

Piazon- not to be confused with older Tricolor prospect Lucas who shone with Neymar in the South American U20 Championships last month- only turned 17 at the turn of the year and is yet to make an official appearance for his club. He is widely considered however as one of the most promising youngsters in Brazil at the moment, and is currently representing his nation at the continental Under 17s tournament; where he made a goalscoring debut in a 4-3 victory over Venezuela.

This follows a sparkling turn in the 2009 U15 version of the tournament, where the prodigy finished top scorer with 10 goals.

Globoesporte subsequently report that Chelsea are on the verge of completing a deal which would see the youngster move to London on turning 18 at the end of 2011. Piazon is expected to put pen to paper on a transfer worth €7.5million when he returns from the South American Championships in roughly a month. 80% of the fee would go to Sao Paulo, and the remaining 20% to his family and agent for their share in his contract rights.

The forward had been negotiating with Italian giants Juventus at the start of the year despite interest from the English club, but a deal fell through due to a failure to agree personal terms. His talents on the ball and speed have led to comparisons with Kaka in Brazil, although Piazon prefers to play further up the field as a second striker rather than as a traditional number 10.

Follow Goal.com on . Get the latest football news direct... Check out Goal.com's  page; be part of the best football fan community in the world!