Barcelona Offer Samuel Eto'o Two-Year Contract Extension

The Cameroon international striker has been heavily linked with a move to Manchester City this summer...
According to a report emanating from Sky Sports, Primera Division giants Barcelona have offered Samuel Eto'o a new two-year contract extension.

The 28-year-old striker has been heavily linked with a move to Premier League money men Manchester City this summer, and it is thought that they made an official offer worth around €29.3 million (£25m).

Speculation has suggested that la Blaugrana head coach Pep Guardiola is keen to see the Cameroon international leave the Nou Camp this year, despite having one-year left to run on his present deal.

However, Eto'o's agent Jose Maria Mesalles says there has been no indication that Guardiola wants his client to move-on during the close-season, and also stated that as long as los Cules want him to stay, he will.

"The player wants to stay and complete the last year of his contract," Mesalles is quoted as saying.

"
If Barca don't want him they should say so, so we can pursue the player's future in a professional manner.

"
The club said coach Pep Guardiola did not want him. Guardiola has not told the player he is not required."

Apparently, Barcelona offered a Eto'o a new two-year contract extension on the same terms as present on Monday evening.

It seems that the former Real Madrid and Real Mallorca star may not be entirely happy with the manner in which la Blaugrana have acted, and the suggestion is that while he is happy to remain in Catalunya, he has not ruled out the possibility of joining Manchester City.

"
If they have a serious offer from Manchester City, and if they want to continue with this negotiation we could be interested," Mesalles remarked.

"
We haven't spoken to City but if Barca have reached an agreement it shouldn't be that difficult to reach a deal."

Ricky Brooks, Goal.com



Close