However, Florentino Perez's latest capture has fallen short of being the most expensive football deal ever:
- Zinedine Zidane (Juventus - Real Madrid) 2001 - €76m
- Kaka (AC Milan - Real Madrid) 2009 - €65m
- Luis Figo (Barcelona - Real Madrid) 2000 - €58.5m
- Hernan Crespo (Parma - Lazio) 2000 - €53.6m
- Gianluigi Buffon (Parma - Juventus) 2001 - €49.2
By some measures, Kaka is even more expensive than Zidane. To give a rough guide, back then €76m was worth £46m, while Kaka's transfer of around €65m this year is worth a mammoth £56.3m.
However, as both the Zizou and Kaka moves took place between Italian and Spanish clubs, working off euros makes more sense. The euro, in fact, has not fluctuated quite as much as the weakening pound has since 2001, meaning that Kaka will, to most observers, be the second-most expensive transfer of all time.
Zizou may have given up his No. 5 shirt for the Brazilian, then - but he still keeps his record!
Steve Michaels, Goal.com