News Live Scores

Inter Push For Chelsea Defender Ricardo Carvalho – Report

Inter and Jose Mourinho are pushing for Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho as the Nerazzurri continue their mission to strengthen.

Having already made additions to the midfield and attack, Mourinho, who coached Carvalho at Chelsea, is thinking about making changes at the back. Il Corriere Dello Sport claims the Portuguese tactician has asked sporting director Marco Branca to make a move for the Blues man, having missed out on him last year.

"Carvalho is one of the best central defenders in the world. It was impossible to sign him last year, but now it's possible," Mourinho told Sky Sport Italia, making his desire to sign his former pupil clear.

Reports suggest Inter can sign the stopper for around €6 million. In addition, voices surrounding Stamford Bridge claim Carvalho has already told chief executive Peter Kenyon that he wants to join his old mentor in Milan.

The move for him seems to have gathered momentum as Jorge Mendes, the player's agent, was seen talking with Marco Branca in Milan on Friday. Carvalho was the subject of their discussion and a move is expected this summer.

However, Carvalho himself stated yesterday that he was only looking ahead to next season with Chelsea, and hoped to overcome his recent injury woes. Thus the status of this transfer remains uncertain at best.

Salvatore Landolina, Goal.com