Kariobangi Sharks 4-3 Gor Mahia: K’Ogalo stumble again
Eric Kapaito and Kariobangi Sharks.
Kariobangi Sharks.
The Green Army were outplayed by the resurgent Eastland side who look renewed unlike last season when they flirted with relegation

Kariobangi Sharks condemned Gor Mahia to a second loss in the Football Kenya Federation Premier League after they picked a 4-3 victory at Kasarani on Sunday.

Eric Kapaito, Daniel Sakari and John Kuol scored Kariobangi Sharks’ goals while Gor Mahia’s were scored by Clifton Miheso, John Macharia and Joachim Oluoch.

A wet pitch troubled Gor Mahia and when their backline failed to clear the ball in the sixth minute, current top scorer Kapaito took advantage and scored the opener. The former Talanta FC striker found himself in open space and fired home with his left foot past his former teammate Gad Mathews for the opener.

The goal was the eighth for Kapaito who opened the season with a brace against Wazito FC.

Kapaito tried to get a second goal in the ninth minute but his long-range strike flew above the crossbar. Mathews had left his line to clear a ball that was meant for James Mazembe but his clearance landed on Kapaito who unluckily tried to lob the ball over the goalkeeper.

Gor Mahia earned an equaliser in the 12th minute when Kariobangi Sharks failed to defend well and allowed the visitors to penetrate through the left-wing.

Samuel Olwande’s effort to clear saw his shot hit the woodwork and Miheso was just lurking around and took a little effort to tap home past an already beaten Brian Bwire.

Jules Ulimwengu thought he had given Gor Mahia the lead in the 15th minute but his goal – that would have been his third in the campaign – was ruled out for offside by referee James Davis Omweno.

A faulty clearance that led to the concession of the equaliser did not demoralise Kariobangi Sharks as they went ahead again in the 17th minute. Sakari outwitted Michael Apudo in the right-wing and his curved strike found the bottom corner for his second goal of the season.

Kariobangi Sharks extended the lead in the 36th minute when they breached Gor Mahia’s defence from the left-wing. Kapaito was in the right position to receive the ball and he did it superbly, held on a little bit and lobed the ball over Mathews for his ninth goal of the 2020/21 season.

In trying to find a way to stifle Kariobangi Sharks’ attacks, Macharia was introduced in place of Bertrand Konfor while Michael Apudo, who struggled in the first half, gave way to Geoffrey Ochieng.

The change produced an instant result as Macharia gave Gor Mahia a second goal when he successfully slotted past Bwire into the bottom corner in the 50th minute.

K’Ogalo, the better side in the second half, equalised in the 66th minute when Oluoch scored to punish a back-pedalling Kariobangi Sharks.

Article continues below

Kuol – after an outstanding performance at the back – got himself a slot in the 78th minute when his header found the back of the net to leave Gor Mahia stunned.

The remaining minutes were not enough to help the Green Army pull at least a point from a determined Eastlands side who look stronger than they were last season.

It is the second loss for Gor Mahia after a defeat against Tusker in the second game of the season.