Kaizer Chiefs 0-0 Horoya AC - Amakhosi's winless run extends to Caf Champions League
Reeve Frosler of Kaizer Chiefs challenges Enoch Atta Agyei of Horoya AC, February 2021
The Soweto giants started their Group C campaign with a draw after being held by the Guinean champions in Johannesburg 

Kaizer Chiefs were frustrated by a stubborn Horoya AC side in a Caf Champions League match which ended in a 0-0 draw at FNB Stadium on Tuesday evening. 

Amakhosi were looking to start their group stage campaign with a victory and also snap their six-match winless run across all competitions in the process.

Kearyn Baccus replaced Njabulo Blom in the starting line-up as coach Gavin Hunt made one change to the team which faced and drew 0-0 with SuperSport United in a PSL game over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Horoya were hoping to record their fourth successive win having thumped Satellite 5-0 in a Guinean Ligue 1 match last week.

Guinea international Moussa Camara started in goal for coach Lamine Ndiaye's side, while experienced Ghanaian forward Oncasey Mandela led the attack. 

Chiefs got off to a bright start as they pressed Horoyo - searching for an early goal that would have unsettled the visitors' defence which was led by Ibrahima Doumbouya.

The hosts were wasteful as Nkosingiphile Ngcobo, Samir Nurkovic and Willard Katsande failed to take their chances inside the first 15 minutes of the encounter.

Long balls were played in the Amakhosi box in search of strikers Leonardo Castro and Nurkovic, who connected with two aerial balls, but he directed them over the crossbar.

Horoya finished the first-half the stronger of the two teams with Enock Agyei tormenting the Chiefs defence with his blistering speed and sharp movement.

Agyei tried to beat Chiefs goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune with a chip, but the ball went over the crossbar and the Horoya attacker then placed his attempt from a free-kick wide of the target.

The score was 0-0 during the half-time break with Chiefs having failed to take their chances.

Amakhosi controlled the match after the restart and Nurkovic thought he had broken the deadlock when he beat Horoya keeper Camara with a tap in, but he was ruled offside.

Camara sustained a head injury after coming off his goal-line as he tried to make a save, but the 22-year-old shot-stopper was able to continue with the game. 

Hunt then introduced attacking midfielders Blom and Lebogang Manyama as the Glamour Boys looked to open the scoring. 

Camara, who was a busy man between the sticks, reacted quickly to snatch the ball, before Nurkovic could pounce and hit the back of the net.

Article continues below

Amakhosi continued to launch attacks in the latter stages of the game with Castro's long-range shot being finger-tipped over the crossbar by Camara and Siyabonga Ngezana headed the ball inches wide of the target.

Camara was proving to be an obstacle for Amakhosi as he pulled off two great saves to deny Blom and Manyama to ensure that the encounter ended in a 0-0 draw on the night. 

The result left Chiefs placed third on the Group C standings - three points behind leaders, Horoya, but the Soweto giants have a game in hand and they will face Morocco's Wydad Casablanca on Sunday.