Inter - Sampdoria Preview: Nerazzurri searching for boost ahead of Derby d'Italia
Andrea Stramaccioni's men will be hopeful of securing maximum points against their promoted visitors, ahead of Saturday's crunch encounter against Juventus
By SW Lim
Silvestre, Ranocchia, Samuel
Zanetti, Gargano, Guarin, Cam'sso, Na'tomo
Berardi, Rossini, Gastaldello, Poulsen
Tissone, Poli, Munari
Soriano, Eder, Estigarribia
Inter coach Andrea Stramaccioni will be spurring on his men to seize victory against Sampdoria on Wednesday, in preparation for the weekend's grudge match against Italian champions Juventus.
The Nerazzurri have consolidated third spot in the league after embarking on a wonderful run of form, and are now in the hunt for an eighth win on the bounce.
Diego Milito is likely to be reunited with regular strike partner Antonio Cassano, as Stramaccioni fields a strong starting XI.
Matias Silvestre and Fredy Guarin are expected to return to the fold after missing out on last week's 3-1 victory over Bologna. Wesley Sneijder's enforced absence as a result of injury remains the only sticking point.
Ciro Ferrara's depleted Sampdoria will have to contend without the likes of Maxi Lopez and Nenad Krsticic, while Spanish revelation Pedro Obiang is only cleared to begin from the bench.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Inter's last defeat came at the hands of Siena in September, when they were beaten 2-0.
- Since then, the club have equaled a seven-match winning streak set by Helenio Herrera's side during the 1961-62 season.
- Veteran hitman Diego Milito (pictured right) celebrated his 100th appearance in a Nerazzurri shirt against Bologna on Sunday.
- Sampdoria have lost their early impetus of late, succumbing to four straight defeats, after a five-match unbeaten run at the start of the campaign.
- The Blucerchiati can take heart from having already won at San Siro this season, when a solitary goal from Andrea Costa settled matters against AC Milan on the opening day.
- Ciro Ferrara's sole encounter against Inter as a coach ended in victory, when the former Italy international led Juventus to a 2-1 win in December 2009.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Internazionale 2-0 Sampdoria
- 30.41 %
FC Internazionale 3-0 Sampdoria
- 22.12 %
FC Internazionale 3-1 Sampdoria
- 10.47 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Apr 13, 2014||Sampdoria 0 - FC Internazionale 4|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Dec 1, 2013||FC Internazionale 1 - Sampdoria 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Apr 3, 2013||Sampdoria 0 - FC Internazionale 2|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Oct 31, 2012||FC Internazionale 3 - Sampdoria 2|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Feb 27, 2011||Sampdoria 0 - FC Internazionale 2|
|Apr 19, 2014||Parma 0 - FC Internazionale 2||ITA1|
|Apr 13, 2014||Sampdoria 0 - FC Internazionale 4||ITA1|
|Apr 5, 2014||FC Internazionale 2 - Bologna 2||ITA1|
|Mar 31, 2014||Livorno 2 - FC Internazionale 2||ITA1|
|Mar 27, 2014||FC Internazionale 0 - Udinese 0||ITA1|
|29||Lorenzo De Silvestri||Defender|
The ex-AC Milan forward has taken to life under Stramaccioni like a fish to water. Inter's form striker, Cassano has contributed five goals in just nine appearances so far, and will be hoping to add to that tally against an out-of-sorts Sampdoria.
A consistent outlet in attack, the Paraguay international will be Sampdoria's most direct threat to Inter, combining skill and trickery with a wicked delivery from out wide. If the Blucherati are to take anything from the game, his performance will be key.
Simply put, Inter pack too much firepower on paper for Sampdoria to contain. Combined with their imperious form of late, do not expect any upsets in what will be a routine win for the home side.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed